• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Emeprid (metaclop) given at first signs of GI slowdown?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
I'm waiting on the vets to call, but i think i'm seeing the very early signs of Ginger going downhill again..

Can i give a dose now, to try and prevent it?

I know obviously if it was a blockage, she shouldnt be forcefed or given metaclop, but knowing her as i do, i'm sure its the GI slowdown.

Just looking for opinions from those with GI tract knowledge please.

I'm waiting on the vets to call, but i think i'm seeing the very early signs of Ginger going downhill again..

Can i give a dose now, to try and prevent it?

I know obviously if it was a blockage, she shouldnt be forcefed or given metaclop, but knowing her as i do, i'm sure its the GI slowdown.

Just looking for opinions from those with GI tract knowledge please.

I normally would and do with my own bunnies; when we had Lola she had regular GI stasis bouts and the first port of call was metaclopramide (maxolon) and or zantac. To keep the gut moving and hopefully should ward off the bout. I sometimes give a lowly dose of metacam to also ease any pain that may have caused the bout to arise.

I normally would and do with my own bunnies; when we had Lola she had regular GI stasis bouts and the first port of call was metaclopramide (maxolon) and or zantac. To keep the gut moving and hopefully should ward off the bout. I sometimes give a lowly dose of metacam to also ease any pain that may have caused the bout to arise.

Vet has called and advised to do what i think is right as she trusts my judgement. Have given a dose of it now, and she's already had her first dose of metacam for the day.

She's bright atm, but the poops were rather small and didnt look right at all.

She's in the litter tray at the moment eating hay so its positive and hopefully we've warded it off as yuo do.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Stef :)

Vet has called and advised to do what i think is right as she trusts my judgement. Have given a dose of it now, and she's already had her first dose of metacam for the day.

She's bright atm, but the poops were rather small and didnt look right at all.

She's in the litter tray at the moment eating hay so its positive and hopefully we've warded it off as yuo do.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Stef :)

No worries :) Glad the vets got back and glad Ginger seems ok for now, she's a tough little bunny :love:

I know it's FAR too late now but as soon as Smudge refuses pellets (unless it's cos he's being smart and has spied the carrier) I give him some metaclop and metacam.

Hope Ginger is ok.

Back