• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet Consultations

whitehood

Warren Veteran
I asked my friend what vet he uses for his budgies and he said Medivet in Hayes.
I asked him if it's cheap average or expensive and he said average.
They only charged him a consultation once [when he first went]. Apart from that, he only has to pay for medicines if he needs them. And the health checks are free etc.
:shock:
Lol, Possibleh?

I don't know whether this would apply to rabbits

Sounds strange for the UK, but here in Ukraine, they will actually groom my bunnies for free, as well as administering medicine - I only pay for the medicine.

The quality of their medical advice is another story altogether, but the pricing-model seems similar to the one you describe ;)

That sounds really cheap. Usually medicine is the least expensive part, it's the consultation fee that is expensive. For so cheap I would imagine it isn't a certified avian vet either and it's usually not a good idea to go to non-avian savvy vets, just like with rabbits.

It does say a RCVS Accredited vet and it treats these type of animals 'Birds, Cats, Dogs, Exotic/Wild, Small Mammals'

I've been searching for vets everywhere and would be so happy if this vet was rabbit savvy.

My vet normally charges for the first consult (though I'm sure he didn't charge me consult last time we went) and then a smaller amount for the second consult and then nothing for checkups.

Just so you know, a vet being RCVS accredited doesnt necessary mean they are any good. It just means they managed to pass a test.

I'd always go on experience, rather than accreditations in all honesty.

I dont pay any consultations for Ginger, as i'm there so damn often, they wave them now :)

Biscuit's tend to be £16/consult but it depends, if i take them both, they only ever charge me a half consult.

I was (very pleasantly!) surprised, when after Alfred's op, he had to go back 3 times a week for injections for 4 weeks, that I didn't get charged a consultation fee (normally £20), and literally just paid for the medicines..

I was fully expecting to have to pay for those - gave the vet a box of chocs on our last visit as a thank you.

My vets are the same they just charge for the medicine not the consult and their medicine prices are better than my old vets too. Because of this they have lots of loyal customers and make their money through being busy

When we toook Thumper to vets for his eye was £8.50 for con. and then 10.50 for eye drops, then week later for tthe check up they said we didnt have to pay again.

Back