• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How much poo should a bunny do? / photo added post 19

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Spenser's output is still way below normal after his recent poorly spell. I'm wondering if perhaps he was doing too much before, when he was having a fairly generous allowinance of veg daily. He would often do 20-30 in a late afternoon sitting, and probably more like 100 'overnighters'. :shock:

His current poos are still smallish, darkish and firmish. :?

Last edited:
He is possibly still getting back in sync. The minilops on a hay only diet do more poos than any other rabbits I have. Just keep an eye and as long as they are gradually getting back to normal then he is on the right track.

There can never be 'too much' poo !!

It can take a good week for the GI tract to return to normal after an episode of stasis. But if the primary cause of the gut slow down is not addressed then obviously the problem wont fully resolve.

Did the Vet cast any light on what may have caused Spencer's impaction/stasis ?

There can never be 'too much' poo !!

It can take a good week for the GI tract to return to normal after an episode of stasis. But if the primary cause of the gut slow down is not addressed then obviously the problem wont fully resolve.

Did the Vet cast any light on what may have caused Spencer's impaction/stasis ?

He said it could have been cause by so many different things it was impossible to tell. I'm not sure if he was really in stasis though - he was only off his food for a couple of hours, it was more a problem at the other end. Maybe we just caught it early.

Re. impaction, it seems I misunderstood the vet on Monday, as on Tuesday he seemed to be implying gas was the trouble. :? We are back tomorrow for him to be checked over.

Just to add, the only change to Spenser diet in the lead up to his illness was that I cut down his greens by about half. The vet said this wouldn't have done it though, and would be more likely to have had the opposite effect. He also ate his tea very piggily that night, and the corinder might have been a little past its best.

Is that all? Seems more like 5000 when sweeping them up.

I agree with Jane - you can never have too many.

Well it would explain why some of the two thousand my four must do sometimes miss the litter trays :lol:

Spenser clearly has a long way to go. We are evidently in the presence of greatness! :shock::thumb:

I am glad he is back at the vet tomorrow and you can see what they think. In the meantime I hope his production increases overnight!

Biscuit's constant but i couldnt tell you how many, but Ginger fluctuates badly, due to her issues, but i've counted between 100 a day to at least 3 times that.

It's easy to differentiate theirs in the tray, which is helpful.

Still not much in the way of 'overnighters'. :? Spenser is bright and has a good appetite, but I suppose going from quite a lot of veg to none (on vet advice) is a fairly major change of diet.

Still not much in the way of 'overnighters'. :? Spenser is bright and has a good appetite, but I suppose going from quite a lot of veg to none (on vet advice) is a fairly major change of diet.

Indeed. I wouldn't be at all concerned yet. It takes Ginger weeks to get over a bout and if she has 2 or 3 in a row in a number of weeks, it may take even longer to get back to normal.

Give it time :)

Indeed. I wouldn't be at all concerned yet. It takes Ginger weeks to get over a bout and if she has 2 or 3 in a row in a number of weeks, it may take even longer to get back to normal.

Give it time :)

Thanks, I suppose the fact that it is going in and coming out is the main thing. I had actually cut his greens by about half in the weeks leading up to the problem, but the vet said if anything that should have had the opposite effect.

Thanks, I suppose the fact that it is going in and coming out is the main thing. I had actually cut his greens by about half in the weeks leading up to the problem, but the vet said if anything that should have had the opposite effect.

Indeed - look at the positives rather than consider the negatives.

Spenser's a bunny, he knows what he needs to do to stay healthy, but like a child, if you give them sweets, they'll choose them over healthy foods and make their tummies hurt :)

Agree with t'other folk, give him time & keep on with the current routine :D Don't worry too much about the quantity for now, so long as they're coming out & they're 'normal' looking this is good :thumb:

You can aim for bigger & better in the coming weeks ;):lol:

Spenser's vet is happy with his progress, but I have a week of metacam to administer (will be interesting :roll:). Apparently there is still a bit of stuck poo slowing things down a bit. Just after my last post Spenser did a nice little pile of nt quite so dark poos in his basin. I took a photo and will add later.

Here is some of yesterday's output:

PC160596.jpg

Today's have been a little darker, possibly because he has had quite a bit of orchard grass.

They don't look too bad Susie :D Granted that ideally they would be larger but they are regular in shape & size so I don't think you should worry :wave:

ETA: Might be worth you measuring one & noting it down somewhere along with the date :mrgreen: Would be interesting to see if there's any difference in another week, two weeks etc ;)

Back