• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tips on administering medicine in a syringe

ljm-arnott

Young Bun
Poor Arthur has had quite a week. On Monday morning I found him slumped in his litter tray and he wouldn't eat anythig (when normally he comes running up to me for his breakfast!) I rushed him to the vets who said that he had severe gastric bloating:( He gave him multiple injections and sent us home with some Fibreplex (which he takes easily when I smother it over his spring greens) and some Metoclopromide which I cannot get Arthur to take properly without getting it all over me and him and completely stressing him (and me!) out. Sorry for the long explanation but has anybody got any tips for making the process a bit more pleasant?!

Try dipping the end of it in some squished up banana or something else he likes the taste of. Might encourage him a bit more!

The usual way is to wrap bunny firmly in a towel making sure that you bring part of it up over their back to stop them reversing out. Next kneel on the floor or lean over a table with your rabbit firmly backed up against your knees/tummy. From this position you should be able to lean forward and slip the syringe in their mouth, just behind the front teeth. make sure you aim for the opposite cheek and not straight down the throat because it is very easy to put some meds in the wrong place and cause respiratory problems.

Squeeze a little at a time and let the bunny mouth the syringe whilst you slowly give them the dose.

Well first you need a really good grip on the rabbit

As for the syringe, try giving them some baby food or pinapple juice first so they see the syringe is fine, infact when Hadley had stasis I had lots of left over baby food so let the others take a bit out of the syringe (not holding them they just came up, tasted it and waited for more :lol: ) or if that really doesn't work you can try hide it in some food

If they don't take it willing from the syringe I either put something tasty on the end or mix it in with some mashed bananana or soaked into some bread.

Thanks everybody! Using a mixture of all of your hints and tips, Arthur now takes his medicine easily! He seemed to take a turn for the worse on Friday but it seems that he just wanted sympathy! Really grateful for all of your great advice. :)

Back