• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peter - is he allowed in at all?

steveg

Warren Scout
I've read a lot about the change between inside and outside temperature being bad for buns, but now am unsure if we should take Peter in at all to play.

This is his first winter. He is in a large run all day with small hutch attached. He normally comes into a cool room in the house for a few hours a night for some attention and company. Then it's into his hutch, which, I have to say, is now looking pretty cosy, lined with cardboard inside, lots of hay and paper, and carpet, blankets and tarpaulin pegged down on the outside.

I think we all feel a bit guilty if he's going to get no company for the next three-four months. Neither the run or the hutch are big enough for us to be in it with him.

What about turning off the central heating and opening the window in the cool room?

I know the answer is another bun and I'm phoning our local RSPCA re this tomorrow.........any suggestions/advice appreciated.

An hour may be ok, I personally wouldn't do any more than that.

Maybe next time you have to upgrade your accommodation you could think about a shed instead of a hutch so you can go sit in with the bunnies for a while ;)

You'll find people have mixed views on this. At the moment I have Spenser in, probably temporarily, as he has been unwell, but I've turned the heating off in my room. If he hadn't been ill, he would still be in most days for a few hours company, because we have an unheated conservatory that is probably colder than his hutch at this time of year.

Personally I think having some time with him in your coolest room and window open would be beneficial, but perhaps not if the outside temperature really plumets as it did last year. I see you are in Aberdeen, where it gets very cold indeed.

Unless you have a room which has the heating off most of the day and a similar temp to outside (get a thermometer and check, temps where we feel 'cold' are often still around 18 degrees celsius) I would say no to err on the side of caution, not on a regular basis anyway... but if you have a conservatory or utility that you can keep cold and have windows open then that could work. Of course if you are going to do this it would be best to do it in the day, when the outside temps are higher so the difference between indoors and outdoors is less.

Can you not upgrade your accommodation? You'll likely need to to be able to adopt another rabbit anyway if you cant fit in the run with him, I've sat comfortably in a 4x4ft run before. The rspca will likely have guidlines similar to the Rabbit Welfare Association: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

The other option is having him as a housebunny, would this be an option? Plenty of company and space then if you can let him free-range for most or all of the day. If you do bring him in now you will have to keep him in till April though, because he'll moult his winter coat.

Unless you have a particularly cold room, which is close to the temperature outside I'd say no, if you can get a room as cold as outside he'd be fine

i bring my bunny in but for less than an hour in the conservatory no heating in there, i usually have to wear a few layers its that cold!

just because its too wet outside to let him run! cant wait for him to have his new house!

Thank you all for your replies.

Heating is off and window wide open, Brrrrr.......

He's coming in for an hour for hugs from the boys.

Went to our local Scottish SPCA Rescue Centre today in Aberdeenshire and saw Polly, a small and quiet neutered female. She looks like a wild rabbit and I'm sure Peter would love her.

Watch this space...........

Thank you all for your replies.

Heating is off and window wide open, Brrrrr.......

He's coming in for an hour for hugs from the boys.

Went to our local Scottish SPCA Rescue Centre today in Aberdeenshire and saw Polly, a small and quiet neutered female. She looks like a wild rabbit and I'm sure Peter would love her.

Watch this space...........

Ooh how exciting!!! Peter and Polly!! :D

Back