• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moulting - lovely brown and white fur layer across my flat!!

carolineclair

Warren Scout
So I have a lovely layer across my entire flat of fluffy Dutch bunny fur. It literally comes out in small handfuls, so Ive bought a brush which is brilliant at getting all the loose fur. I remember reading something about rabbits needing more food/energy while moulting - what should I be feeding her?

Also how long can i expect her to moult for? Shes an indoor bunny and I understand she is loosing the winter coat she doesnt require but its been going on for a couple of weeks now!

She's also due her myxi booster, moulting wouldnt affect her having that would it?? Im sure thats a stupid question!!!

xx

Indoor buns can get confused due to the temperature differences in being indoors compared to outdoors, so often have some odd moulting behaviour.

Moulting can last weeks, months, or in my Ginger's case, about 18 months as she still hasn't moulted a full coat since birth due to sickness.

You can help her out by brushing regularly and softly removing the 'tufts' with your hands.

slightly wet hands can often help when just stroking her to remove excess too, but only slightly damp, not soaking as rabbit fur takes a long time to dry as its so thick.

Yes, it takes more energy to moult, but you shouldn't need to feed any more unless she is struggling to moult, which it really doesn't sound like she is, in my opinion.

What breed of bunny is she?

She's a dutch and shes 10 months. She's definitely not having trouble moulting!!! haha Im been removing the loose tufts by hand, im glad you mentioned that because i felt like maybe I shouldnt be doing that, she seems to quite like it though (so long as one hand is nose rubbing!) so thought it was ok.

She's had a little bit of moulting before but this is the first proper one! May need to invest in a serious hoover rather than my tescos own that barely picks up dust!!

She's a dutch and shes 10 months. She's definitely not having trouble moulting!!! haha Im been removing the loose tufts by hand, im glad you mentioned that because i felt like maybe I shouldnt be doing that, she seems to quite like it though (so long as one hand is nose rubbing!) so thought it was ok.

She's had a little bit of moulting before but this is the first proper one! May need to invest in a serious hoover rather than my tescos own that barely picks up dust!!

Dyson :thumb: :lol:

Sounds like she's going through her first major moult, she'll be losing her baby fur :love:

It'll come out in clumps - Biscuit my little man enjoys it being pulled out also, but lets us know when he's had enuogh and runs off. :D

I’ve put quite a few up recently – search my name for some recent ones I put up about a month ago! She’s quite a petite little lady, which is fortunate as my flat isn’t that big! Shes also the most loving, affectionate little bundle of joy I could have hoped for!

My lops are moulting again too, my lions aren't as their room is unheated. I tend to give them a few more Protexin Profibre pellets when they moult purely because it tends to affect Mini's tummy as her tum is a bit on the sensitive side in general.

Ha! You have just exactly described the state of my flat! I have two lops - a mini & dwarf who live inside free range with me.
And the mini is going through another of her long moults. We are on about week 4 now. Her summer moult lasted about two months. Strangely though, my male dwarf lop doesn't seem to moult any where near as much as she does. And hasn't started his winter moult yet either. It is very strange there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when & how much they moult. They are both brown too - so I know the feeling!

I have a handy little dust buster for my laminate floor. But i find the best thing with rugs carpet etc.. if it's getting really bad is to wet your hands, and then rub over the rug / carpet, takes quite a while but picks up way more hair than any other method I have tried.

She looks adorable by the way x

Looks like I'll be spending Saturday afternoon on my hands and knees with wet hands then! Oh the glamour of rabbit owning! If she was a dog we could be out walking on primrose hill but no, carpet de fuzzing it is!!!
:)
Maybe we will have a bit of a photo shoot while I'm doing it!!

Back