• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

diarrhea??

Misty's Mummy

Warren Scout
Im not sure if Misty has diarrhea or not or if its just the poo she's suppose to eat but isnt. They are really sticky.

Heres some pictures

385013_10150525851640610_645065609_11199540_456224780_n.jpg

Then it ends up like this ( i think she stands in it)

378879_10150525852890610_645065609_11199543_224909035_n.jpg

I dont know what im doing wrong. I give her the eggcup of pellets a day, she gets plenty of hay - hay from pets at home for her bedding, timothy hay and she has a hay ring and she gets veg.

I dont think ive ever seen her eat her own poo before.

Im feel really bad and that im not looking after her properly when i know i am but i dont know what else to do.

no thats not diarrhea, if it was it would be an emergency.

How much hay is she eating? Pets at home bedding hay isnt good quality, and wasnt considered yummy by my buns so they didnt eat much. She needs to be eating a pile the size of herself every day really. The hay ring isnt alfalfa is it?

You may need to change her pellets to a higher fibre brand, what is she on now?

I would also cut out the veg and see if that helps, particularly if youre feeding sugary veg. She may just have a sensitive tum.

She's on wagg pellets.
The p@H hay is really only for bedding as its quite soft. I got the hay ring in wilkinsons. :?
She does hay but i dont think its enough for her

Sorry for all the questions but

What pellets would be best
What hay would be best
What veg should i feed her if she has a sensative tummy? She gets Kale, Romaine lettuce, spring greens, carrot, apple, pear, pineapple, brussels, cauliflower, herbs such as mint, dill, basil, baby corn. Think thats the only veg she really eats. She dosent get all of them everyday.

Last edited:
She's on wagg pellets.
The p@H hay is really only for bedding as its quite soft. I got the hay ring in wilkinsons. :?

Sorry for all the questions but

What pellets would be best
What hay would be best
What veg should i feed her if she has a sensative tummy? She gets Kale, Romaine lettuce, spring greens, carrot, apple, pear, pineapple, brussels, cauliflower, herbs such as mint, dill, basil, baby corn. Think thats the only veg she really eats. She dosent get all of them everyday.

Wagg are okay (17%) but you can get higher fibre ones. Excel (19%) are higher than what you are feeding, same as the old SS, but the new SS pellets (look for new packaging) are 23% fibre I think, Oxbow Bunny Basics are even higher, 29% I think? A & P are high but cant remember the percentage. SS also have their new fibrefirst pellets which are 29% and their Vet Care Plus Digestive one which is 29% again. The higher the better anyway but the pellets may not be the problem.

A hay which contains a variety of grasses is best, like baled hay, just for nutrition and teeth reasons really, it wont upset her stomach not to have this. The main thing is to get her to eat enough of it, even if the stuff she is eating isnt the best quality. I'd reccommend Hay for Pets, as their hay is widely considered yummy by rabbits on the forum and fantastic quality. If you havent already done so a pack from The Hay Experts would also be a good idea to tell you what types she prefers.

But I think the most likely culprit is the veg. The stuff best for bunny tums is the stuff closest to their natural diet, so forage. So apple & pear sticks, hawthorne, blackberry leaves, dandelions, plantain, apple & pear leaves, willow leaves and sticks etc you can get a lot of this dried. Herbs are also gentle on the tummy and very fibrous. I'd stay away from high sugar veg and any fruit.

What I think I'd do first is cut out veg completely for a couple of weeks and see if things improve, and if they do then you can start adding each one back in slowly, see if you can figure out the problem. If she is still having them after youve cut out the veg then it is most likely the pellets, but I'd start with the veg.

If you can find a place that sells it (and if you can store it) then meadow hay in a bale is usually very good quality and a whole lot cheaper. It's usually baled up for horses and people who own horses are usually concerned with hay quality so it tends to be much much nicer than pet shop hay.

Back