• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Charlie is eating his fur!!

Charlie & Lola

Warren Scout
Charlie is eating his fur on both sides, I have checked him for flea`s and he seems clean, his poos are stringy because of this, really appreciate any advise on why he may be doing this ??
he seems fine in himself although he doesnt seem to bother eating his veg or hay he is eating his dry food !! nothing has changed only that he has become a daddy!!

Last edited:
How old is he ?

If he has stopped eating hay and veg it might be Dental problems, the fur pulling due to frustration at being hungry but unable to eat enough.

I would get him checked over by a Vet tomorrow as there is clearly a problem that needs treating.

Good luck.

Thanks for your response he is six and a half months. I new this wasnt normal, will ring and get an appointment asap.. had a feeling it might be something to do with dental as his other half comps on everything and I did think it was unusual that he wasnt bother when upto last week he loved his veg.

Thanks again

Thank You

Jack`s_Jane thank you for your advise,
I got an appointment for Charlie this evening and you were right it is dental, he kept him in over night and is going to cut his teeth down under anestetic tomorrow, 120euro and he explain he may need to have it done every couple of months :shock: he said worse case senario if his teeth growth is very fast and it becomes every six weeks he may talk about removing them altogether but that is only as a last resort :)

Is it his front teeth?
Well done for noticing it so soon. :)
To try and help obviously give them as much hay as they can eat, but if it's front teeth you could get them apple sticks (small branches from an apple tree) to chew or anything that will help keep them short. :)

If Charlie is now a dental bunny which could be genetic in origin, it is really important to ensure that he and the babies are all neutered so that he has no more babies, as the babies can also develop dental problems.

If you do end up having to go down the route of having the inscisors removed you will find that he manages really well and will be far more comfortable with this rather than having to go through repeated dentals.

Lots of hay and grass in the diet will help keep the back teeth worn down

oh I cant wait to collect him after work :love:
Yes it is his front teeth, he was a little stressed so the vet said he would check the back while he is doing the front ones and file then down if needs be.
I was totaly shocked to think that he was eating his fur due to frustration of being hungary, poor little boy, fingers crossed he is not a dental bun..and sure if he is we will deal with it then, either way he is due to be spayed middle of Jan and I plan on getting the babies done also because I want to keep them all :D

Thanks so much for all the help and advise I have recieved on RU, I am in Dublin and have not come accross a forum of its kind here, there so much love and knowledge of bunnys on RU i am so delighted I joined the forum, Oh and my bunnys are from Stafford :) my brother lives over their and kindly brought them to Dublin for me :D

Collected Charlie on friday he seemed in good form. turn`s out one of his front teeth had grown down into his gum which the vet didnt see until he was under anestetic, so he is on anitiotics now.. Didnt seem to eat well yesterday:( but today he is chomping hay,veg and a tiny bit of bread with his antibiotic on it :D Best Christmas present ever :love::love:

Last edited:
Back