• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please - Outdoor bunny flopping out in the cold!

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
Usually Dizzi and Rascal sit all 'puffed up' when they're outside in the run (they flop in the hutch during the day and also when its hot out) but today when I came home from work Dizzi was flopped on the fleece in the run ..... I've never seen her do that before and I was a little bit concerned as she seemed really lethargic and didn't want her tea, when I gave her nosey rubs she hopped off and flopped on the cold paving!!

She's since dug into her hay, had a crunchie and some pellets and is running around.

I just wondered if other people's bunnies flopped during the winter on the floor .... I'd have thought it was too cold?!?

TBH I was ready for taking her to the vet because she was just lying there when I was offering her pellets .... normally she runs round like a loon!! Like I say though, she seems to be herself again now.... I'm going to keep a close eye on her tonight but ..... any ideas?? (for all I know it could be perfectly normal and she was just very tired!)!?!?!

Ta, Jo x

Last edited:
Mine do tend to puff up when cold, but I have seen them flop an d they never sit in the playhouse or use the snugglesafes.
If it is out of character definitely keep an eye on her, but if she has eaten and seems fine in herself I wouldn't worry too much :)

It sounds like she has a bit of a tummy ache. Did she eat anything unusual recently. Buns can flop out and lose interest in food when they've got gut problems. Getting her to move about and that she's now eating hay sounds like a good sign.

Just keep an eye on her and if she does it again or you notice a change in her poos it might be worth a vet visit.

Hope she is ok...Id also keep an eye on her...if she is moving about and eating then thats good...
Mine do tend to sit out in the run and cold...:roll:even with their snuggle safes etc...but as suggested if its out of character then def. keep an eye on her.

Thanks for your replies, really appreciate it.

Dizzi is totally back to her normal self now ..... think you must be right and maybe she had a bit of tummy ache so I've kept her off greens since just in case that was causing it.

She's back to running round like a loon and she's eating/pooping as normal!!

Can't tell you how relieved I am, she really scared me!!

Thanks again, Jo x

Back