• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bit of a disaster giving little Oscar his meds;(. Sorry another Q page 18

We have ranitadine, metolop, baytril and metacam to give to him. This morning we managed to get a bit (im not sure how much) of baytril in him, he was so stressed out it was awful, he is so small and wriggly, we have never had a rabbit as.....well as good at not having meds.

I know he needs to have all the meds, i went for the baytril first as Rich thinks it could be a urine infection. He was so stressed i cried, i cant hold him still and Rich really struggled to get what we did in to him:(. Little Oscar was so stressed we stopped:(

We are going to try again tonight because he hasn't had any ranitadine or metoclop today (im thinking i will leave off the pain relief, because he is his normal self today).

Does anyone have any advice?

Last edited:
Hello
Just wanted to lend some moral support. We have lots of problems with Jenson too. He's a complete handful and it takes two of us to syringe meds, one to wrap and hold him in a towel the other to give the meds, and he flinches and fights even though I do my best to calm him. I've only managed on my own once!

Is Oscar eating?
If he is you could try putting some of the meds in food. Pellets soak up quite well, as do fenugreek crunches with a little time. Might not work with the bitter tasting meds, would need to be something strong to hide the taste (and don't give him anything else first so he eats it because he's hungry and then something nicer after). If he won't take it in food then stick with the towel method. Get everything ready before you start and try to be calm. (easy to say I know).

I would be reluctant to come off the pain meds too soon. Hopefully someone with more experience can help.

Thank you deelove and jenson. He has had his ranitadine, we covered a bit of greens with it, and he ate it:shock:, we are going for the same tactic with the metoclop (fingers crossed).

The baytril tastes so bitter, and smells as bad i dont think we are going to be as lucky (thank god that is only once a day). I have tried the bunny burito, but im doing something wrong, he still struggles, his head moves more than any bunny i have ever had to medicate, he knows the meds are coming.
How can we keep his head still?. Im so stressed with this, and i know this isnt helping our wee one:cry:

I am finding the best way to give Finley his medicine is on a piece of banana. When he had a very poor appetite due to illness he still ate banana. ;) I hope it helps you.

I have a problem bun too and usually mash a tiny amount of banana with the baytril and he scoffs it up. It's so much better than stressing them out when they are already poorly. I hope you manage to find something that works for you.

Put the baytril in banana or bread. Grim has his on bread, otherwise I would never get it in him. I think he could give Oscar a run for his money on being a wriggly bunny when it comes to medicine. Now we trick him into eating it. :lol:

Second the banana or bread. With banana I fiind it's best to mash it up and then mix the meds into it or they eat round it even with banana. :roll:

we added ribena to baytril to make it more palatable, not ideal i know but it was the difference between getting it down the rabbit and getting it down us!

we added ribena to baytril to make it more palatable, not ideal i know but it was the difference between getting it down the rabbit and getting it down us!

At the vets they recommended using ribena too. We don't drink the stuff though so I used apple juice instead, it helped but unless I did it at about 4:1 ratio juice ot baytril they still refused it.

Thank you for replying guys, it means a lot, i know i get too stressed when it comes to our little ones, and that does not help them or me. Rich sent me to sit down, i was making things worse, fussing to much. Oscar has eaten greens covered in metoclop that Rich gave him, im so relieved.

Rich is going out to buy some bananas for the baytril. x

Ribena is interesting. We were recommended cranberry juice. I mixed a very small amount with the batril in a bowl (little bowl narrower at base) and then put some pellets in so no actual liquid. Jenson ate that easily.
If he won't eat pellets I've mixed the liquid med in with fibreplex on a piece of spring green. He's not as keen but usually greens are tempting enough!

Some he might take straight from the syringe. I think most like metacam. Jenson doesn't but he does like metoclopmide. I just hold it out and he just licks it as I syringe it slowly! :shock:

We got the vet to show us how to hold Hitley like she did, so he couldnt wriggle and it totally worked. we would give him baytril first which he would take knowing that he would get metacam after which he grew to like and would lap up!

I had a nightmare with this too, Alfred would take the metacam and metaclop on food but not the anti-biotics...

I tried mixing it with banana, fruit baby food, amongst others, but the only thing he'd take it on was a small piece of farleys rusk (I know they shouldn't have things like that - but it far out weighed the stress of syringing him).

I second the banana, it was just too upsetting to try and syringe it into Simba, she got so stressed and wriggly I was terrified of hurting her :( or her hurting herself accidently.

So now the banana method for all meds, it does work.

Good luck xxx

:wave: we have the banana ready for tonight's dose, fingers crossed it works.

Can anyone tell me if 1.2ml of metoclopramide is the right dose for Oscar? (Oscars weight is 1.65kg)
The reason i ask is because i have just been having a clear out of our bunny first aid box, and found some old meds for Shauny. They are in a different form (Shaunys are the 10mg tablets you dissolve in 2mls of water and give 0.4mls) Oscars is just neat syrup 5mg/5ml.

I am totally rubbish at math and conversions, but Shauny is twice the size of Oscar:?

Why don't you give the vet's a quick ring before they shut? Just say you wanted to double-check :wave:

:wave: Did that before i posted, the receptionist said yes that is the right amount, she just read off the screen. I tried to get my point across (but didnt really want to say in to many words 'has the vet made a mistake in her working it out':oops:) What i wanted to happen was for the receptionist to double check with a vet

Ive completely messed this up, he hasn't had any metoclop today because ive now got it into my head that i have od him:(

God times like this i dont think im cut out to look after my little ones

Back