• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chicken Coop as rabbit housing

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
my friend asked me what I thought of this type of housing for rabbits so I thought I'd see what you guys thought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chicken-C...t=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item336cc71566

Actually think it could be pretty good if it has an attached run of course! The overall size of it works out as 6.5ft x 2.5ft x 3.5 height (including how far back the nest box goes back so a bit less on the run area). I guess from the pic the nest box bit is about 2ft x 2.5ft which is small, but cosy and they'd be no need for them to ever be locked in that, so would work like the sleeping area of a hutch. The slats for perching would need to be left out.

what do you think?

:wave: I'm not a fan, personally. Theyre not as big as they look and the footprint is not much bigger than a hutch, but it only has a sheltered area just over 2ft sq. for it to be a comfortable size hutch which would be comfy to pootle about and sit in whatever the weather, it would really need enclosing properly with a floor to the whole thing...and by the time you've gone to the expense and faff of doing that, you'd be better off going with a conventional hutch and run or a shed.

Also, Chinese fir is incredibly soft so it won't last, it will be very easily chewed/destroyed and will rot far more quickly than more robust products. I recently saw a photo of a chinese fur hutch which had been gnawed out of by a bunny in a single day!

Just my opinion, be interested to see what others think :)

Last edited:
I agree with Santa I looked at these before I got my shed and the indoor part really doesn't work out that big

I used a chicken coop once as needed something urgently and that was all I could get quickly. It wasn;t the same design but I found it hard to clean out, it wasn't water tight, the wood was soft and basically it fell apart pretty quickly considering how much it cost!

For £105, I'd buy that, maybe add board to the side/back for extra protection and in effect turn it into a massive hutch. Then attach a run as you would with any hutch. Be cheaper than a hutch that size and easy to do.

I think a playhouse with attached run would work a lot better, and you can sit in with them in winter. :thumb:

Ok thanks I'll pass that on about the wood quality, didn't think of that!

I thought perhaps the bunny would like the cosy dark space, because a warren would be a system of tight narrow tunnels leading to small enclosed spaces wouldn't they? And the run part has a covered roof.

For £105, I'd buy that, maybe add board to the side/back for extra protection and in effect turn it into a massive hutch. Then attach a run as you would with any hutch. Be cheaper than a hutch that size and easy to do.

I like that Idea. You could even fit an extra level. :)

I have 2 of this type of hutch. I would not particularly recommend them. I use one inside an aviary and one has been doubled in size (lengthwise), been boarded at the back and raised on a marine ply base so the whole area can be used all the time.

Neither rabbit ever uses the nest area, save to run in and out of with a grape in their mouths or to chew the wood on the door:roll: One is a softer wood and has been chewed well as someone else mentioned. I also find that as the wire sides are quite high, although the height enables the insertion of a step, shelf or chair to sit on, depending on the wind direction the rain can get in.

The run may have a roof, but a lot of the floor will still get wet and will be much colder than wood, so I still don't think it gives much space for relaxing comfortably. You can get a 6x2x2 happy hutch with attached 6x4 run for just £35 more than that - in my opinion that is much better quality wood, provides more useable space and by the time you've paid for materials to modify the other one, is probably not much different in price!

I have on but have done this to try and make it better

The back

RenBack1.JPG

Front and side, the shutter goes over at night.

RenFront.JPG

The size is good and they love the different levels.

I cant really comment on the practicality of it but it does look like a nice home for some luck bun. If its cheaper than the play house option then as metioned they could buy it and make a few adjustments :)

Yours looks lovely!

Thank you!

I bought it before i knew better and it cost about £20 for the wood and meant I didn't have to start again with another hutch!

I have also taken the partition out of the upstairs and made the flap to cover the wired side so they have a larger indoor area.

My chooks have this one:

http://www.henhouseworld.co.uk/ch102.htm

I have been really pleased with it and would think that a bunny or two would be quite happy in it (although for the price you could get a shed/run combo?). (They do get plenty of free-range time as well though and buns would need the same).

I have these for the quail- they are a nightmare to clean, the wood would be easily chewed be a rabbit and the floor does get wet underneath. Also to add most of the area isn't very deep and only a small part would allow a rabbit to periscope. Much better to buy a purpose built hutch and then get a run which is built to join it.

That was the first thing we bought for our rabbit based on recommendations of another site even though I wanted to make one. With ours the roof leaked but luckily it was on the run side, pats of the wood rotted within one year and the cladding is only 5mm thick.

I wouldn’t recommend it.

I have seen a lot of these and we have been donated 2. They are not fit for purpose really and fall apart in no time. I would never go out and buy one. They are ok for a season. For chickens they seem to harbour red mite which get into all the crevices and are difficult to get rid of and the wood is so cheap ad flimsy that rabbits chew it in a nano second and they are very small.

I am contemplating this company for rabbit runs/enclosures. http://www.smithssectionalbuildings.co.uk/ I have seen them during home checks and they are very well made, well designed and seem reasonably priced for the workmanship involved ad the fact that they are made in this country and I think the delivery people assemble. Those cheap old things on ebay come flat packed and we got donated a brand new one that of course didn't include all the necessaries!

I agree with Santa I looked at these before I got my shed and the indoor part really doesn't work out that big

Im always for the shed, it means that you can go in there to feed, clean and spend time with them whatever the weather too. Much, much better

Back