• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bandage eating / chewing

Vita

Mama Doe
Now the little blighter is chewing her bandage.

Have anybody else's buns done this, and were they alright? No gut problems?

I think we will be going back to the vets tomorrow for a cone and I will have to hand feed her :(

I don't know I'm afraid. Is she actually ingesting what she's chewing? Or is she chewing it and dropping bits on the floor?

I don't know I'm afraid. Is she actually ingesting what she's chewing? Or is she chewing it and dropping bits on the floor?
A good question. But one that's hard to answer because they are currently living on a cream-coloured fleece blanket.

She hasn't chewed right through it yet, so it's still on, at least.

Have you tried swabbing the bandage with vinegar? As it's holding something on as opposed to protecting a wound. We use vinegar for protecting cables, the smell stops thwm chewing right off.

Does she need the bandage or do you think if she was without it she would go for her scar? Twink never bothered with her scar and the vet had done the stitches really carefully so there wasnt anything she could get in her teeth and pull at.

The bandage seems to distract her from chewing the stitched area. That's its main benefit. It rolls down so quickly after being adjusted that it rarely covers the whole wound.

ETA: Re. vinegar... Would it be a problem for her to have damp fur? And would she hate having something smelling of vinegar on her own body?

Last edited:
The bandage seems to distract her from chewing the stitched area. That's its main benefit. It rolls down so quickly after being adjusted that it rarely covers the whole wound.

ETA: Re. vinegar... Would it be a problem for her to have damp fur? And would she hate having something smelling of vinegar on her own body?

I feel really stupid now as I never thought of that. But yes, I can imagine she would. I can't see the damp fur being a problem as you could dip the bandage, dry it, then tie back on, so that it tasted bad but wasn't wet. But I didn't think of it being attached to her body.

There was a good thread the other day about buns in babygrows, this is often used to restrict access. I'll find the thread for you. It won't stop her niggling at it but will take her a lot longer to pull off ;) It depends on where the scar is as well, is it a spay wound or something else?

I feel really stupid now as I never thought of that. But yes, I can imagine she would. I can't see the damp fur being a problem as you could dip the bandage, dry it, then tie back on, so that it tasted bad but wasn't wet. But I didn't think of it being attached to her body.

There was a good thread the other day about buns in babygrows, this is often used to restrict access. I'll find the thread for you. It won't stop her niggling at it but will take her a lot longer to pull off ;) It depends on where the scar is as well, is it a spay wound or something else?
No probs - sometimes solutions for unusual problems need some thinking aloud and thrashing out first. It took me a while to realise I could dry a vinegary bandage.

I am hoping not to need a babygro etc for now as her wound is visibly starting to heal. She has a raised scar of uniformly coloured skin where even a couple of days ago the edges were red and a little raw.

But I'll bear it in mind in case one is needed for B (Fingers crossed not!)

She is good, thank you!

Friendly and lively and seemingly not missing Beatrix (hospitalised). Healing well. Today she had her first free range time since the spay and had a good run around the kitchen hallways and stairs.

Awesome. You know they're feeling better when they go back to being little.....ahem.

I'm sorry to hear about Beatrix, I didn't realise she was ill :( Lots of vibes for her, I assume she has a thread somewhere? *goes off to hunt*

Back