• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurance for vetinary bills etc

fluf

Young Bun
Hopefully the rabbit I'm wanting to adopt will be coming to live with me next week. I was wondering about pet insurance for him.
Does anyone else insure their rabbits who could recommend a company?

I have mine insured with PetPlan and they have been really good. I have made claims for 4 of my 11 this year and they have paid out for them all (altogether over £2500 woorth of treatment) so I can recommend them!

Same here. I am with Pet Plan and have claimed for over £2,000 worth of treatment for 3 of my buns this year and they have paid out with no argument.

Thanks Sierra. I just read through your thread and it was really helpful. I'll look into P@H too as I'm on a pretty tight budget as I also keep and insure 2 parrots and my dog. It all adds up to a hefty pet insurance bill every month!
When you read through all the blarb the companies give you it seems like the animal isn't insured for much at all! My 2 big parrots have existing conditions that they had prior to insuring so therefore are not covered for that.
My budgies which I can't insure as there are too many, accumilate ridiculous vets bills over a year. I went through all the receipts of payment to the avian vet last month for the past 3 years just for budgies and it came to near £800! The incredible thing was that just one budgie has cost about £300 alone so far!

Thanks Sierra. I just read through your thread and it was really helpful. I'll look into P@H too as I'm on a pretty tight budget as I also keep and insure 2 parrots and my dog. It all adds up to a hefty pet insurance bill every month!
When you read through all the blarb the companies give you it seems like the animal isn't insured for much at all! My 2 big parrots have existing conditions that they had prior to insuring so therefore are not covered for that.
My budgies which I can't insure as there are too many, accumilate ridiculous vets bills over a year. I went through all the receipts of payment to the avian vet last month for the past 3 years just for budgies and it came to near £800! The incredible thing was that just one budgie has cost about £300 alone so far!

No problem :thumb: It is very confusing, there are so many exclusions and conditions!

Bramble and Bungee are both insured with Petplan. They are also covered through a 'Health Club' at the vets, which covers all their vaccinations, panacur, free nail clips, and 10% discounts on dentals and any purchases from their shop etc.

I definately think it is worth having insurance, I've made two claims through Petplan and have had all my money back both times. It was also a lovely feeling when the buns went for their boosters the other day and I didn't have to pay anything!

Mine have been insured with Petplan until the other day when I swapped to P@H. Petplan's renewal notice came through suggesting insurance for £60 per month (for 2 rabbits, aged 6 and 8 )!!! We looked online and have found that P@H do it for £13 per month! So much better! I do think that insurance is worth getting as vets bills can cost a fortune! :)

Mine have been insured with Petplan until the other day when I swapped to P@H. Petplan's renewal notice came through suggesting insurance for £60 per month (for 2 rabbits, aged 6 and 8 )!!! We looked online and have found that P@H do it for £13 per month! So much better! I do think that insurance is worth getting as vets bills can cost a fortune! :)

Wow! thats a huge difference!:shock:

Thanks everyone for your replies :) I'm still rabbitless at the moment as the homecheck has been postponed for a week, but should know by thursday lunchtime:)
Apparently he will be insured for a month for free, so I'll have a bit of time to get some quotes :)

Back