• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harmony Urine infection again? Advice wanted

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi everyone. We have booked a vet appointment tonight for Harmony as back in July she had a urine infection and was given an injection and had to have marbocyl for a few days. It cleared up and up until now Harmony has been fine. I did notice yesterday she didn't come over to the food bowl as eagerly as she usually does but she was still eating especially hay. Today was when i noticed her behaving similar to when she had the urine infection back in July. She was laying different and keeping away from her siblings in the hutch. We got her out and checked her and she is wet underneath. Not as wet as in July but we may have found it earlier this time. I am just wondering if this could be a recurring thing? she hasn't had x-rays for molar tooth root problems but she has never had dental problems. Could it be a sign of E cuniculi and if so should we mention this to the vet? I'm just confused by this happening agan after 4-5 months, the others haven't had this so i'm baffled how she got it. I just hope the vet trip later tonight will be helpful and we can try to understand what is happening. I've heard people mention baytril being given to Urine infection rabbits but our vets have never mentioned this medicine to us.

It sounds like she needs to see the vet, if her appetite is a bit reduced and she is acting slightly differently. Always worth trusting your instincts on these things and explaining them to the vets.

The wet bottom could be any number of things, like you suggest it could be EC or related to molar tooth roots, or could be a recurring problem with her kidneys/bladder. Hopefully the vet can then suggest diagnostics and give any treatment she may need.

Hope she feels better soon.

OK vet trip done. Right vet told us that it isn't exactly like last time. She got some of her urine as she had done it on the carry case floor after moving the towel out of the way. After checking it she said there is high calcium so to reduce pellets and other food with high calcium. Apparently there is a website which lists foods that are safe for rabbits to have and that are very low in calcium. We also have to get her to drink more somehow. She hasn't been given any medication just yet as the vet told us we could monitor her for a few days and if she is having trouble eating/drinking/urinating etc to phone up and we can get some medication. So the vet thinks it is only a calcium issue at the moment.

Has anyone else had this problem? I mean they are on hay and pellets (and not a high amount of pellets) and they got some carrot and parsley a few days ago so what could we be doing wrong? And does anyone know about the website i mentioned above which could be very useful?

Back