• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those bringing rabbits indoors from outdoors

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Please remember, rabbits don't cope with temperature changes very well.

If you are going to bring them in now, they will need to stay in until early spring, around March/April time when it gets warmer again.

A rabbit who is used to being outside, being brought in for during the day and then being put back out for night time, may become ill with respiratory issues.

Disclaimer (even though i shuoldnt need to, but know some people may take this personally): This is NOT a dig at anyone. This is me trying to do my bit for rabbit welfare and for new people joining the forum who may not know otherwise.

:thumb:

People might think they're being nice by letting their outdoor rabbits play inside through the day but it's much better they're outside getting used to the cold than being brought into a warm house, then shoved outside again where it'll feel even colder than if they'd been left. Same the other way around too, I hate to think of nice cosy house rabbits being allowed to stay out in the snow to play

My out door bunnies have a lovely thick winter coat :love::love:

Last year they were hutch bunnies and I spent a lot of time getting wet and cold now they are in the kennel it is much better but still quite cold, I have lots of warm clothes to wrap up in so I can continue to spend time with them, I love sitting in the bunnies kennel.

I think this should be stickied :thumb:

Seen so many people doing this, and none of them know the dangers, or dont realise that the damage may be permenant e.g. snuffles.

surely thats backwards anyway, are people not more likely keep their buns outside in the day when the temperature is still reaonable and then bring them indoors at night!?

surely thats backwards anyway, are people not more likely keep their buns outside in the day when the temperature is still reaonable and then bring them indoors at night!?

Maybe, but a lot of people bring their buns in for exercise when its miserable outside. Either way the same rules apply. In winter no matter when you bring them in you will have at least a 10c difference in a heated room, likely more. Even if you turn the heating off in a room whilst they are in there, if its been on at some point that day it will likely be at least 18c still, and temperatures outside are predicted to drop to -20 this winter.

Maybe, but a lot of people bring their buns in for exercise when its miserable outside. Either way the same rules apply. In winter no matter when you bring them in you will have at least a 10c difference in a heated room, likely more. Even if you turn the heating off in a room whilst they are in there, if its been on at some point that day it will likely be at least 18c still, and temperatures outside are predicted to drop to -20 this winter.

I didnt realise people did that!!yeh i agree there is a big difference in temps in winter, my buns live indoors all the time and cos im always cold the heating is always on, my buns live in virtually tropical conditions haha. I love them being indoors though (although currently one bun is chewing the door frame to sawdust, and im in rental lol)

We did this when I was a little kid, we didn't know any better. When there was the rare freeze (I live in FL) we would bring them indoors at night and then put them out in the morning. Never did any damage to them thankfully.

On the news when there's a cold night they always say to bring the animals indoors so I imagine a lot of people do this :(

Good thread Graham :D I too have noticed a lot of people mentioning bringing bunnies inside for exercise etc. I think this is ok in an unheated room/garage etc for short periods of time but even then, it's important to keep checking the rabbits temperature. Far better (IMO), where possible to provide an outdoor bun with a secure place to exercise & weather proof it as much as possible & yes, putting house rabbits outside for exercise when it's very cold isn't a good idea either!

I also agree it would be a good one to be stickied :thumb:

Last edited:
Its very tempting and im glad I have read so much on here about the dangers.

I know alot of people that do it and despite what i say they think im being over the top or just talking rubbish :(

Although i agree a lot with this, it should also be said that if your outdoor rabbit is ill, bring it indoors if necessary in a unheated room (and open the windows to equalise the temperature to outside).

When my rabbits get gut stasis, i bring them indoors, even in winter. I have them in a unheated room and I open the windows to make the inside temperature as close to outdoor temperature as possible. Thankfully they usually start eating again pretty soon so they usually only in for one or two nights. If you do do this, remember to put them outdoors during the morning, so they have time to get used to the temperature before the colder night closes in.

IMO its better that a rabbit is inside being monitored when its ill, rather than kept outside (probably not seen for 12 hours or more at night). It just needs some preparation.

Although i agree a lot with this, it should also be said that if your outdoor rabbit is ill, bring it indoors if necessary in a unheated room (and open the windows to equalise the temperature to outside). .

We had to bring Scarlet in this week for 2 nights following a dental (she is also a lonebun since her husbun died 3 weeks ago) so we kept her in the hall, which has a stone floor, turned the heating off but warmed her with a heatpad. Not sure if it would have helped but I thought it better to keep her warm but the air as cool as possible. She didn't lose any of her winter coat and is happily outside again with her snugglepads at night. Fortuneately she'll soon have another bun to snuggle when we get Orinoco from BARC. :D

We had to bring Scarlet in this week for 2 nights following a dental (she is also a lonebun since her husbun died 3 weeks ago) so we kept her in the hall, which has a stone floor, turned the heating off but warmed her with a heatpad. Not sure if it would have helped but I thought it better to keep her warm but the air as cool as possible. She didn't lose any of her winter coat and is happily outside again with her snugglepads at night. Fortuneately she'll soon have another bun to snuggle when we get Orinoco from BARC. :D

:eek: you're having Orinoco?! Lucky things!! He is so gorgeous!

Back