• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newby,!walked in to almost a whole rabbit in fur!

Hello everyone!

I'm very new to the rabbit world and have googled and read many books but it's my first chat forum!

I have 2 bunnies, 1 lop eared girl & 1 dwarf boy. I have walked in today to so many clumps of rabbit fur it's unbelievable! It was quite scary!!

They are mainly Pip (boy) who is white and black, this fur does feel softer than Audrey (girl) who's brown and white...does that contribute?

They have also prev been mainly outdoors but recently spend approx 70% of the time indoors..or are they just major shedding? X

Hi and Welcome :wave:

They may have had a bit of a sqabble over somthing, how long have they been bonded for?

Okay, are they piles of fur as in from moulting, or small tufts, as in like been pulled out?

If tufts, it may be they have been fighting. Are they both neutered/spayed?

Re the 70% inside, 30% outside - you need to be very careful. Changes in temperature can make a rabbit very sick if it is constantly changing. If you are to continue having them indoors, they need to stay indoors, until early spring.

It may be that with the warmth of the house, compared to the outdoors, has forced them into a moult and they are shedding fur.

Check them both over for injuries and proceed from there i'd say.

Also, how old are they? If not neutered/spayed and old enough, you may now have a pregnant female :/

:wave:

Last edited:
Sounds like they've had a fall out :( If they're not neutered/speyed then this is something you should consider asap :wave:

eta: What Graham said! :lol:

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I'm very new to the rabbit world and have googled and read many books but it's my first chat forum!

I have 2 bunnies, 1 lop eared girl & 1 dwarf boy. I have walked in today to so many clumps of rabbit fur it's unbelievable! It was quite scary!!

They are mainly Pip (boy) who is white and black, this fur does feel softer than Audrey (girl) who's brown and white...does that contribute?

They have also prev been mainly outdoors but recently spend approx 70% of the time indoors..or are they just major shedding? X

Welome to RU :)

Are they spending some times indoors and some outdoors? If so then I would stop that asap as it can contribute to respiratory problems. :( I did it when I first got Mischa and now he has a lots of problems with infections.

Also are your bunnies neutered? It sounds like they may have reached maturity and are now fighting or if they are neutered and bonded it may be something has spooked them (the high winds?) and they've had a fight. Check them over for any wounds as these aren't always easily seen and if you find anything major then take them to a vet :)

Hiya,

I should of added they are both neutered. They normally get on well. They have been spending the nights indoors and outdoors in a large well sheltered hutch, however the last few days the weather has been quite bad here even in the day so kept them in.

In the evening they have the whole house to run around in & over night they have a large 'dog' style cage, to prevent chewing as Audrey is a monkey sometimes!

X

If you bring them in then they need to stay in until the temperature warms up again around March/April time. Rabbits cope fine with cold weather but not if there are big changes in the temperature. They need to grow their winter coats. :)

Thank you..that's the plan to keep then in especially over night until spring..we do get some sun some days and they have a massive run but only used while we are in..I'll keep with that.

Neither are injured or effected in any way..I think it's the coat shedding.

Thank you all.

X

Okay, are they piles of fur as in from moulting, or small tufts, as in like been pulled out?

If tufts, it may be they have been fighting. Are they both neutered/spayed?

Re the 70% inside, 30% outside - you need to be very careful. Changes in temperature can make a rabbit very sick if it is constantly changing. If you are to continue having them indoors, they need to stay indoors, until early spring.

It may be that with the warmth of the house, compared to the outdoors, has forced them into a moult and they are shedding fur.

Check them both over for injuries and proceed from there i'd say.

Also, how old are they? If not neutered/spayed and old enough, you may now have a pregnant female :/

:wave:

Thank you for this, they were gradually brought in with the assistance nd guidance of our vet, the arrangements were not a sudden change. The heating isn't kept on in the area they spend most of their time.

I think it may be shedding as neither are hurt or have any bald spots.

Thank you for this, they were gradually brought in with the assistance nd guidance of our vet, the arrangements were not a sudden change. The heating isn't kept on in the area they spend most of their time.

I think it may be shedding as neither are hurt or have any bald spots.

If it's shedding, the temperature change is too drastic and their bodies have reacted to it in my opinion.

It would be worthwhile considering keeping them 100% inside now until spring, as further changes may make them ill.

If it's shedding, the temperature change is too drastic and their bodies have reacted to it in my opinion.

It would be worthwhile considering keeping them 100% inside now until spring, as further changes may make them ill.

100% agree :thumb:

Back