• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Christmas dilemma

MichG

Mama Doe
At the moment I am due to be going to the inlaws in Essex on boxing day and staying for a couple of nights. My parents are going to be popping in to see the buns twice a day while we are gone, which in theory is fine as we have owned bunnies my whole life. However, we have never really had poorly buns that needed treatment (we are talking over 10 years ago since I lived with my parents) they either died or got pts.

Well now I have 3 buns on meds,
Minky eye drops and metacam for Glaucoma
Dexter Flagyl, Baytril and metacam for pasturella/eye removal
and now as of this afternoon
Poppy Baytril and Flagyl for snuffles.

I showed my mum them and their treatments today and she said she was fine about it, since then I went shopping and came home to find poppy with white snot over her face and grubby paws, a quick trip to work and a dose of Flagyl and Baytril.
Poppy is a NIGHTMARE to get meds into, she is 4kg of grumpy bunny and Minky bites when she has her eye drops done and I just don't trust my mum will do them right.

My dilemma is.... how do I tell my inlaws that I don't want to visit them at christmas because my bunnies are ill? They already think it is a big joke that I have 11 and treat them like I do and spend money on them etc. I can just feel a massive family arguement coming on, I haven't even told my husband yet. They are going to be totally pee'd off when I tell them I am not going because my bunnies and their health is far more important than christmas with the family.

Christmas is still a little ways away. I think that if were me I would wait a while. Maybe the bunnies will get a little better or you could also start working with your mom to do the eye drops better. This is just what I would do as I hate family fighting especially at the holidays. If that didn't work out I would just fake sick and stay home letting hubby go. Just what I would do but that may not be good for you.

Oh dear. Is there a petsitter you could trust to do the meds? I think I would prefer to stay home too. No idea how you should handle the inlaws! Maybe it would sound better if your partner explained it to them?

Have you tried giving baytril on bread or banana?
Are any of them paired up? I'm wondering if there is any way I could look after one or two for you. I'm going to be helping my sister bond her rabbits at mine over Christmas but that could be moved to another room and if they're inside buns I guess they could be in my room? I've got lots of experience with big bunnies and medicine. Unfortunately. :?
Otherwise I would make up another excuse not to go. Or send your husband but say you need to be at work or on call and are getting paid a lot to do it?

Have you tried giving baytril on bread or banana?
Are any of them paired up? I'm wondering if there is any way I could look after one or two for you. I'm going to be helping my sister bond her rabbits at mine over Christmas but that could be moved to another room and if they're inside buns I guess they could be in my room? I've got lots of experience with big bunnies and medicine. Unfortunately. :?
Otherwise I would make up another excuse not to go. Or send your husband but say you need to be at work or on call and are getting paid a lot to do it?

Well... Minky and Dexter are together... in a group of 5 and Poppy is the head of a group of 6!

Thank you so much for the offer though, also they are all outdoor bunnies and currently I wouldn't have anywhere to keep them indoors afterwards, otherwise I would split those 2 from the group and ship them to you.

Tried Poppy with bread earlier, she was having none of it, going to get some banana later, unfortuntately she needs 1.5mls Baytril and 1.9 of Flagyl (she refuses the Flagyl too!!)

Going to talk to the husband over dinner, I am cooking his favourite, they say the way to a mans heart is through his stomach right??

Wish me luck!!

I'd just tell them you have a pet that needs medicating for a serious health problem, you've tried to get someone else in to medicate and feed them whilst you were away but the pet is very difficult to medicate

Well... Minky and Dexter are together... in a group of 5 and Poppy is the head of a group of 6!

Thank you so much for the offer though, also they are all outdoor bunnies and currently I wouldn't have anywhere to keep them indoors afterwards, otherwise I would split those 2 from the group and ship them to you.

Tried Poppy with bread earlier, she was having none of it, going to get some banana later, unfortuntately she needs 1.5mls Baytril and 1.9 of Flagyl (she refuses the Flagyl too!!)

Going to talk to the husband over dinner, I am cooking his favourite, they say the way to a mans heart is through his stomach right??

Wish me luck!!

:lol:

And good luck. :)
I suppose if it gets really desperate I could put a hutch on top of my hutch (much to the dismay of Smoo who lords over the back yard from the top of the hutch) but there's not much room outside. It could be done if you needed, but just tell them you have flu and stay at home with the bunbuns.
Grim has 1.34 of baytril and happily takes it when he doesn't know it's in the bread. :lol: There must be something she can't resist? :)

If I lived closer I would pop in and care for your bunnies!!!

Plenty of administering meds experience.:thumb:

Hope you manage to sort out this dilemma.

:? ooooo this is a tough one. any other time i would say, tell them you cant make it but this is christmas. is it pretty important to your in laws/OH?? will their feelings get really hurt?? im sure between now and then you and your mum can come up with a good way to get the meds in to the buns. if its only for a few nights im sure they'll be fine :) i know its hard to leave them but an argument is the last thing you need while your buns are ill xxx

Hmmm, husband seems to think they have people coming round Boxing day night. I think I am going to have to go and leave mum strict instructions/get her round here a few times to make sure she does it properly. My main worry is if Minky's EC starts presenting with other symptoms, so far it is just kidneys and eyes, but I am so paranoid she will start with neurologic symptoms too. I don't know if my parents will be willing to rush her to the emergency vets or not. I have a feeling they would wait and see how it goes over night :roll:

Hmmm, husband seems to think they have people coming round Boxing day night. I think I am going to have to go and leave mum strict instructions/get her round here a few times to make sure she does it properly. My main worry is if Minky's EC starts presenting with other symptoms, so far it is just kidneys and eyes, but I am so paranoid she will start with neurologic symptoms too. I don't know if my parents will be willing to rush her to the emergency vets or not. I have a feeling they would wait and see how it goes over night :roll:

would they let you take the one you are most worried about with you?? just a thought xxx

What a nightmare :-(

Hope you manage to get out of the trip, I completely know where you are coming from over this x

would they let you take the one you are most worried about with you?? just a thought xxx

We are trying to work out if there is anyway we could split the group until spring and have minky and dexter as house buns and take them with us, I wouldn't want to have her on her own as she is such a social little thing :love:

We are trying to work out if there is anyway we could split the group until spring and have minky and dexter as house buns and take them with us, I wouldn't want to have her on her own as she is such a social little thing :love:

would you be able to re introduce them easierly again in the spring?? or could you keep themas house buns?? sounds like a good plan to me :)

would you be able to re introduce them easierly again in the spring?? or could you keep themas house buns?? sounds like a good plan to me :)

Well, the plan (as far as hubby is concerned) is that they would return back outside... However, I want them as housebuns :D we will have to wait and see who wins!

Back