• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lionhead cross mane growth..

lilgems91

Mama Doe
My benji is a lionhead cross, and hasnt got much of a mane bless him :lol:

However, since he has been inside for the winter, and has been a husbun to cupcake, his mane has grown considerably, and is really fluffy and filled out. Everyone has noticed and asked me why but I actually dont know!

My vet noticed and she says its because he is in good health, but not sure if this is why?

Anyone had experience of this?

:wave:

No idea why, but both my Mimi and Maxs manes grew considerably when they came to live with me :? Maybe its to do with good diet :D

Lionheads need more protein to grow their manes, it uses energy to grow.

Being inside, he won't be using energy to keep himself warm anymore, so instead of using it for keeping warm, he's diverted it back into his own body for growing :wave:

Its all diet related.Same with humans.

My Mrs had her mane growth after she was 7 months.Whether this had something to do with her age or me and what I give her to eat as opposed to her former owners,Im unsure.

Back