• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please HELP ME !!!! Fur mites eating my bunns :(

Hello everyone,
I have a big problem and I need your help. I live in a country where vets do not know anything about rabbits !!! Here people use the rabbits for food:( I love my pet rabbits and I have to help them. They have awful fur mites since June this year. Long it took veterinarians to discover that , so we started treatment in September.
I don’t know how you call that fur mite in english so I will post the picture and you can see.
They were given five injections of ivermectin.
But have never grown all hairs. 90 procent of hair grown, but other 10 procent is still witouth hair :( Vet sad that need to pass six weeks until the skin recovers and hair starts to grow.
It's been a lot more than six weeks, and my rabbits are lost new hair !!!!! I do not know what to do.Veterinarians say it is dangerous even to receive ivermectin more than 5 times.
Today I put them for the third time at a drop of Ivermectin behind the ear (every 10 days)
Does not help. I am desperate!
I do not know what to do and whom to ask for help. Please help me good people.
Sorry for my English.

My only hope is your answers :(

390008_2836521033755_1281106584_3144063_2068527458_n.jpg

Hello :)

Im afraid I have no advice to offer, but did not want to read and run.

I am sure one of the other forum members will be along soon to give you some advice :wave:

I am not sure what mite it is, but when you are treating your buns are you also treating the area? Mites can lay eggs, which can lay about carpets, bedding etc. The eggs can hatch and reinfest your bunnies.

The skin is full of dandruff and flakes.
Every day they lose more and more hair. I clean house every week, always with vinegar because vets recommend that.
They live in a very clean house.
We changed our hay, we changed the litter.

SELNICK MITE, and in guinea pigs called Trixacarus caviae right ? My english is awful , I am sorry.

Back