• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

No, they are NOT just rabbits! :(

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Does anyone else get fed up of non-rabbity people, for want of a better word, rubbishing them as 'proper' pets?
It doesn't matter that they are small, they might not be as loyal as a dog or as independent as a cat, but I love them just as much. Why can't people understand that that's irrelevant?

I've just bought insurance for my two, but will keep it to myself as it's easier than putting up with the disapproving and sarcastic comments. I don't know many people who wouldn't vaccinate or insure a dog, so what's the difference? I'm sure I'm more attached to them than some people are to their dogs and cats.

Sigh. Sorry, rant over.

very my mum and dad dad especially think im mollycuddling them whic is true but they just carnt see them in the same light as dogs and cats im trying to show mum but she still doesnt give a **** really :(
its just anoying especially now im asking dad to attch a run to the shed he just thinks its a waste of time :(
eugh parents !!

I dump anyone who doesn't understand/respect my feelings. That might be why I don't have many friends...

Yep I get this a lot, mainly about vet bills or the amount I spend/the care I take choosing hay, as one of mine is fussy and a dental bun. A lot of people say 'its just a rabbit, just get a new one.'

I know what you mean I got a load of hassle when my bunnies died and I put statuses and things on my facebook :cry: they told me to get over it and it is just a rabbit!!! :evil: they also told me to go to the field and get another one!!!! I have deleted them since :) they have never had a rabbit , rabbits are as good as a cat or dog :)

I dump anyone who doesn't understand/respect my feelings. That might be why I don't have many friends...

My OH respects them but doesn't understand them. He would never let my two go hungry or stay out all night if I wasn't in, but that's as much as they need as far as he is concerned - a house and something to munch on.

He thinks I spend too much money on toys and insulation etc, so I don't think I'll advertise the latest bill :roll: In his defence, he does taxi us back and forth to the vets for vaccinations, nail clipping etc.

But the friends you have are GOOD friends.

My friends respect the way I feel or they aren't real friends. I've shown people how amazing rabbits are and they all ask after Grim.
I can't lie down with the cat and put my face in her face as she gets uncomfortable, but my rabbits let me. The rabbits let me know when they're hungry or when they want fuss and I know what they want just like any other pet. I can cuddle them, they come to me when I call them (unlike the cat). I have taught them to do tricks. But they're also independent and like to chill out together.

I may not be able to take them for a walk but that's about the only thing that rabbits can't do that other companion animals can.

I know what you mean I got a load of hassle when my bunnies died and I put statuses and things on my facebook :cry: they told me to get over it and it is just a rabbit!!! :evil: they also told me to go to the field and get another one!!!! I have deleted them since :) they have never had a rabbit , rabbits are as good as a cat or dog :)

Agreed :) My dad realised this when he saw how attached my mum got to Rabbitt, who has sadly left us, and then Alice. In fact, dad was the one who encouraged mum to get them vaccinated and asked me what vaccinations Finx and Tango have had. Why can people more people not accept them as the brilliant pets they are!?

Edit: My friends do ask about the rabbits, as they can see how big a part of my life they are, but they always ask with a chuckle, and my nickname at work is 'crazy rabbit lady'! It's all in good humour, with the work lot at least, but my point is it shouldn't be humour at all.

Last edited:
my mum doesn't see why i have all the animals i have (2 buns, 3 hammies, 2 fish and a dog) she thinks i should have just one :roll: but then again she did call earlier to ask if i had 'acquired' anymore as she was out getting them all little xmas gifts :lol: :love: i dont really care if people think i am bonkers as long as they respect that it is my choice to have them and i love them :)

I get this all the time. I think the most insensitive one was when Wesley was having an op to remove his abcess and a work colleague said operating on a rabbit that ridiculous you should have just put him in the pot.

I get this all the time. I think the most insensitive one was when Wesley was having an op to remove his abcess and a work colleague said operating on a rabbit that ridiculous you should have just put him in the pot.

:shock::cry:

It annoys me when people make these stupid "jokes" about rabbit stew etc. :roll: I've had that so many times now. It's like, if you're going to joke around about my pets, can't you at least come up with something new I haven't heard 1000000 times :roll: In the beginning I just kind of went with it (unless the person who said it did so in a more rude manner) and replied with things like "Nah, there really isn't enough meat on these two." but now I just go silent and hope the person feels awkward enough to change the subject. It usually works :twisted:

I don't like people who don't like animals.

I never get the rabbit jokes, but yesterday on a forum I was browsing people were saying mean things about chickens, goats, sheep, etc and how people in the suburbs shouldn't be able to keep them and it made me so mad :( What's worse is that they were all from my city :roll: No wonder country folk don't like city folk. Luckily I don't think I live near people like them, my neighbors all love animals and think my ducks are amazing.

Im really lucky that all my friends quite like the rabbits, they arent as into them as I am BUT they ask after them and would never scoff at me spending loads of money on them.

My boyfriend on the other hand doesnt understand animals at all, he will learn though :lol: I havent trained him yet :lol:

My parents try to understand :) and I "dis-owned" all my friends after school because they were a big bunch of :censored:". Anywho, my parents grew to the rabbits and often go out to see them and always laugh and discuss their amazing binkies when they witness one go on. It's brilliant for me! These rabbits are like my kids :D and my mum understand these guys really keep me happy, which makes her happy. We now foster rabbits too so they clearly understand better then they did. Dad help me build all the hutches and runs, when ever I talk about another DIY project, he laughs and says "MORE SPACE?" Rabbit palace for them!. Bless them. Luckily, anyone else I know do kind of understand, to the point where they new I loved animals anyway :D

I actually have noone in my life that matters like that. I really feel for you. My family and friends are very understanding and Jay's sees them as his kids, just as I do. He loves them the same as me...but of course they love me more ;)

I'm very lucky, our small circle of friends may not understand it but they accept how important Frodo is to me and make allowances for it - even to the point of Frodo going with us when we stay with them, which sometimes involves an extra car journey from one of them just to get his crate etc there :love:
I still have to put up with the odd 'rabbit pie' joke, but, to be honest, they don't really bug me that much.

My family aren't extremely supportive, my mum would never take a rabbit to the vets for example :roll: She basically likes animals as long as they don't cost too much, if she was faced with the options of either give expensive treatment or PTS she would go for the latter :( I guess that's how they did things in her family when she grew up, as they didn't have much money to spend on their pets. And she's still wondering why I don't want to leave my bunnies alone with her :roll: Don't get me wrong she isn't abusing them, she just doesn't understand how serious it can be when they stop eating etc. She thinks they'll get better by themselves.
My sister thinks I'm nuts but she doesn't like animals. Actually, she doesn't like anything, much :roll:
My dad is the one who is most supportive I think, he often asks me about the bunnies and how they're doing and is very amused when I tell him about all the mischief they get into :) He definitely understands how much they mean to me :)

Yes it REALLY gets my goat :evil::evil::evil: I just try to rise above it and ignore it, or even just walk away from people when theyre saying something I dont like. Alot people get the message, and now ask me regularly how the buns are etc :thumb: There'll always be a few plebs who think theyre original and funny though, just pretend they dont exist, if they cant respect you why should you respect them :evil:

My family aren't extremely supportive, my mum would never take a rabbit to the vets for example :roll: She basically likes animals as long as they don't cost too much, if she was faced with the options of either give expensive treatment or PTS she would go for the latter :( I guess that's how they did things in her family when she grew up, as they didn't have much money to spend on their pets. And she's still wondering why I don't want to leave my bunnies alone with her :roll: Don't get me wrong she isn't abusing them, she just doesn't understand how serious it can be when they stop eating etc. She thinks they'll get better by themselves.
My sister thinks I'm nuts but she doesn't like animals. Actually, she doesn't like anything, much :roll:
My dad is the one who is most supportive I think, he often asks me about the bunnies and how they're doing and is very amused when I tell him about all the mischief they get into :) He definitely understands how much they mean to me :)

Your mum sounds like she sees them in the same way as my OH. It was worse when Pebbles (hamster) died. I took her to the vets to be cremated as I didn't have a garden at the time, just a patch of border in a communal green. I paid £12, which he thought was ridiculous. I tried to explain that I would rather spend my £12 on knowing Pebbles had a decent end than, for example, a kebab and a couple of pints. He said he would take the kebab!! :roll:

He would never be intentionally cruel, he does like animals, but he doesn't see hamsters or rabbits in the same way as cats or dogs. I can't understand it really. We agree to disagree, as he sees how happy the buns and Wilson make me :)

Back