• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When friends get bunnies

Pebblesetc

Mama Doe
Does anyone else get annoyed when their friends get rabbits?
I do. Mostly because they never seem to have a clue how to look after them. I try my best to give them constructive advice and tips on how to make their buns lives the best they can have, but it always seems to fall on deaf ears.

I try my best to put people off if I think they won't look after them properly :) My OH's friend got a bunny not long ago and my OH is always telling him off for not doing something right :) His friend calls him the bunny police!! He does take notice most of the time though which is good! :wave:

My best online friend got a rabbit a few years ago which annoyed me a lot, because she really was clueless when it came to looking after rabbits and wouldn't listen (or even get mad) when I tried to tell her POLITELY that she was doing things wrong. Things seem to have improved for the little one now though after I gave her some advice on letting him free range but I can tell she's not looking after him very well or seems to care much about him :( She never talks about him or shows me any pictures :(

We have lots of rabbits in our family!

My little sister started by getting supposedly two girls from a garden centre. They turned out to be brother and sister, and had a litter. One of the babies was my Finx, my mum had her brother 'Rabbitt' and my OH's mum had another sister 'Bopbop' (named by my boyfriend's 2 year old niece). At that point I didn't know much about them!

My OH's mum then privately rehomed a friend for Bopbop, called Winnie. Then I adopted Tango from the Blue Cross to keep Finx company. Rabbitt sadly left us before his first birthday, he had an awful blockage and didn't pull through. My mum was devastated and swore she would never have another rabbit, until she met Alice, who was living with students nearby who could no longer keep her.

Since Finx was born in July 2010, I've learned so much about rabbits and how to care for them, and I'm glad that my family followed suit and we have been able to offer good homes to some deserving bunnies!

My sister has three now and she looks after them amazingly. Although Sky-O did say that Little (Now Licory) is getting a little podgy... :)
My friend got a rabbit, I was just annoyed she came from pets at home but she's looked after wonderfully too. I gave her lots of advice and she got her a friend, again from pets at home so I was annoyed but still looked after wonderfully. Although I think her uncle does most of the work, he fell in love with them. :lol:
I think my friends would be scared to not look after their rabbit properly if they got one. They know I'd be round their house!

my friends tend to get reptiles and mice no the mice isnt to feed the reptiles i just know someone who has a pet mouse over bunnies random but thats what they have :lol:

My best online friend got a rabbit a few years ago which annoyed me a lot, because she really was clueless when it came to looking after rabbits and wouldn't listen (or even get mad) when I tried to tell her POLITELY that she was doing things wrong. Things seem to have improved for the little one now though after I gave her some advice on letting him free range but I can tell she's not looking after him very well or seems to care much about him :( She never talks about him or shows me any pictures :(

I dont take pics of Poppy because she really doesnt like the camera. I dont like upsetting her (which it really does) so dont have many pics of her:(

I have managed to put two friends off buying bunnies for their children. I invited them to meet Poppy in her shed and when they saw how she doesnt like people too much (older rescue), how big her shed and run are and how much she costs to keep....they both changed their minds:lol::lol:

I don't think that's the reason for why she's not taking pics though, it just seems like she can't be bothered. I honestly don't think she's taking proper care of her bunny and it kills me :( I'm going to talk to her about it and see what she says.

none of my friends have gotten buns BUT my :censored: of a sister did because my niece's and nephew fell in love with bella and jasper. i told them repeatedly that they were only as friendly as they are because i have put in the time and effort and even now jasper only really likes me. cut to 6 weeks later, a very nervous and scared bun that just got left in its cage at the end of the garden and the bun got dumped on me and i had to find them a new home :cry: broke my heart but the amount i then had really tipped me over the edge coping wise and bella and jasper really suffered :cry:

me and my sister no longer talk and this was one of the major factors. she knew, KNEW how i felt about animals and she abused that. she knew i wouldnt let the little darling suffer.... :cry:

anyhoo rant over.... safe to say if a friend of mine got a bun i would give advice but keep a distance, i cant let myself get too involved now :( xxx

my sister got a bun same time as me but still hasnt got him done :roll: yet but i think ive got her conivced now too but its anoying that shes in another country and has just dumped her bun on me while shes away he nice but feel sorry for him to have my sister as his owner :(

I can only hope that MY sister never EVER gets a rabbit...she couldn't even look after her hamster, she kept saying how it was hers and no one else's yet forgot to feed it and give it water :( She's terrible with animals. The bunnies don't seem to like her very much, I think that's saying something.

Everyone has to start somewhere, I was so clueless when I found Kizzy. I got basic advice from the RSPCA, more from the vet, read several books (out loud to Kizzy) on rabbit care. Not to mention the tons of info, help and advice from here. So I couldn't help feeling it would be arrogant of me to think my friends couldn't successfully adopt a rabbit or two. Then a friend of mine who is planning on running her own small holding said that as part of that enterprise she would be breeding guinea pigs to sell as pets. I was just horrified.

Everyone has to start somewhere, I was so clueless when I found Kizzy. I got basic advice from the RSPCA, more from the vet, read several books (out loud to Kizzy) on rabbit care. Not to mention the tons of info, help and advice from here. So I couldn't help feeling it would be arrogant of me to think my friends couldn't successfully adopt a rabbit or two. Then a friend of mine who is planning on running her own small holding said that as part of that enterprise she would be breeding guinea pigs to sell as pets. I was just horrified.

My friend doesn't seem to be interested in learning :(
I showed said friend a list of places that sell good quality hay (such as hay for pets) and they refused to acknowledge that rabbits need hay :evil:

They also keep letting the bunnies eat bits of cake. There have been like 5 photos of the rabbits eating cakes... I've asked them to join RU but they won't. They say they know what they're doing and don't need any "advice" :cry:

if people ask me about the suitability of rabbits as pets, i try to put them off as i don't think anyone can fully anticipate how expensive, time-consuming and heart-wrenching rabbit ownership can be! one woman actually said 'oh, mine won't be that much trouble, i'm keeping it in a box at the bottom of the garden!' another bragged about letting her rabbit run about the garden all day. 'oh,' i said, innocently, 'you are so lucky to have somewhere fox-and-dog-proof, i can't leave my bunnies outside...' only to see her face change and watch her move away - her idea of 'free range' was exactly that, open the door, let the bunny go, no attempt to protect him...:?

I always try and put people off by saying how much hard work they are and how much theyve cost me so far!
A 'friend' went from one to about 5 and then bred them, all from P@H and keeps them in tiny dirty hutches and hasnt vacc'd or neutered any :( have spoke to her time and time again but she just doesnt wanna know.

I always try and put people off by saying how much hard work they are and how much theyve cost me so far!
A 'friend' went from one to about 5 and then bred them, all from P@H and keeps them in tiny dirty hutches and hasnt vacc'd or neutered any :( have spoke to her time and time again but she just doesnt wanna know.

can I have a word with your friend? Do I know this friend?

:thumb:

I got my girls from a breeder I found online - got a second hand indoor cage and put them in there on sawdust and with some straw/hay to eat (looking back it was not good hay if that's what it was!)

Luckily, that night I was worried they'd cold and started googling - and found RU! I'm so glad I did.

Just because I was clueless when I got them doesn't mean I didn't have good intentions.

Of course, when people plain just won't listen - then I agree :)

Does anyone else get annoyed when their friends get rabbits?
I do. Mostly because they never seem to have a clue how to look after them. I try my best to give them constructive advice and tips on how to make their buns lives the best they can have, but it always seems to fall on deaf ears.

my niece decided to get two lionheads, against my advice, for her 4 boisterous children,:evil: they had a tiny cage, bedded on woodshavings, never let out to freerange, the poor rabbits lasted two weeks there, my niece was going to give them to one of her friends after she decided she didn't like them, after i learnt that her friend has ferrets, i had to step in, and gave them a home, they are really nervous bunnys but slowly, very slowly are starting to trust me.

Back