• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nethies and their ears

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
This is something that got me thinking. Why is there such variations on the size of ears on Nethies? I always thought Nethies had the teeny ears, like Arran does. But after being on this forum, I'm seeing lots of other Nethies, which much larger ears than him.

Arran by Niseag, on Flickr

Is there a sort of standard for Nethie ears, are the larger ones bunnies that have had cross-breeding with larger breeds in their history, or is like sort of like with spaniels, show type spaniels have longer ears, while working ones have shorter ears? Not that Nethies 'work' :lol: but I mean with different breeding lines having different ears.

From what I understand, the teeny tiny ears are the ones wanted in nethies for show, the bigger ears are ones with not so good genetics and wouldn't be allowed to show because they aren't the 'desired' size :roll:

Because a lot of the 'nethies' on the forum are cross breeds or have been pet bred for many generations, so not chosen specifically for their shape and have ended up with bigger ears than show bred nethies, although strangely Arran's look smaller than a lot of the show nethies I've seen :lol:

Because a lot of the 'nethies' on the forum are cross breeds or have been pet bred for many generations, so not chosen specifically for their shape and have ended up with bigger ears than show bred nethies, although strangely Arran's look smaller than a lot of the show nethies I've seen :lol:

Oscar was from a show breeder, but I found out she sold her entire lines for new 'stock' not long after I got him because they weren't good enough to show :(

Oscar was from a show breeder, but I found out she sold her entire lines for new 'stock' not long after I got him because they weren't good enough to show :(

Unfortunately that's what happens quite a lot in the fancy, unless the rabbits are inbred it's hard to get a litter where every rabbit is 'perfect' and showable, and introducing a rabbit from a new line can change everything

Liquorice is a purebreed

P1030777.jpg

Mr Bennett is a cross breed, so even though his ears are smaller than the average bunny, still much bigger than a pure nethie.

Little Arran is so squeeeeeeeeeeee. :love:

Back