• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Matted fur around bum very grumpy rabbit please advise!

abigiggle

New Kit
Hi there

We've had our Bun a few weeks now and she's doing really well up until a few days ago, she suddenly turned and started destroying all her toys and scratching and biting us whenever we go near her.

Then today i managed to pick her up to check her out (shes got a little scab on her back with blue skin around it so ive been trying to check every day) anyway, i looked at her bum and she's all matted and pooey around her bottom. Not big clumps, just poo stuck to all the hair right up to her belly. And it stinks.

She is eating, and drinking, but not very much, and cleaning herself (but not her bottom area). She also seems very lethargic, she just keeps lying down whereas normally she's chewing and binkying around her playpen.

Any advice? Do i need to take her to the vet or leave her? I have to go out tonight but i am concerned that i wont be able to watch her to make sure she's still eating etc etc.

Thanks

She needs to be seen by a vet urgently. A lethargic rabbit who is getting wet, not eating/drinking much and doesn't fancy being active is a sick bunny. She could be in pain, and requires veterinary attention.

Just this second she has started to have a dig around and i *think* she is trying to clean herself up.

Can it wait until tomorrow as i have to get to work... and our local vet doesnt do 'out of hours'.

Rabbits are prey animals as you probably know so they are very good at hiding any pain or discomfort, so as rabbit owners we have to look for the little signs that show they are unwell. If you are picking up on her not eating and drinking properly and also seeming to be lethargic, then I would trust your instincts and take her to the vet. Gut slowdown can lead to gut stasis which is an emergency and best treated early so as to prevent things from deteriorating quickly. So yes I would say she needs to see the vet and be checked over. This is not something that can wait.

Clumps of poo on her bum is also a sign of her tummy not being right and she will need this cleaning off to prevent flystrike - if its stuck in her fur and if she doesnt like being handled it may be easier to ask the vet to help you do this. However the cause of the soft poos or excess cecals, whichever it may be, needs to be tackled through making sure she is eating a high-fibre diet. How old is she and what is her diet like? Does she eat a lot of hay and is she on pellets or muesli mix?

Do you know what has caused the scab? Something with blue skin around it sounds strange and needs a vet to check it over as well, I would have thought.

And as for suddenly turning and destroying toys and scratching and biting could be partly down to pain but also could be her hormones kicking in if she is unspayed and depending on how old she is.

Good luck at the vets - I agree with GrahamL that she needs to be seen by a vet urgently. Please let us know how she gets on.

Just this second she has started to have a dig around and i *think* she is trying to clean herself up.

Can it wait until tomorrow as i have to get to work... and our local vet doesnt do 'out of hours'.

If you can go now, the vets may still be open.

No offense, but why ask the question, then say that? My answer is "no, it really can't".

Your rabbit needs a vet. Once she is showing signs of an illness, she's already in dire straights, as rabbits hide weakness as best they can to hide from predators, as they are prey creatures.

Rabbits are prey animals as you probably know so they are very good at hiding any pain or discomfort, so as rabbit owners we have to look for the little signs that show they are unwell. If you are picking up on her not eating and drinking properly and also seeming to be lethargic, then I would trust your instincts and take her to the vet. Gut slowdown can lead to gut stasis which is an emergency and best treated early so as to prevent things from deteriorating quickly. So yes I would say she needs to see the vet and be checked over. This is not something that can wait.

Clumps of poo on her bum is also a sign of her tummy not being right and she will need this cleaning off to prevent flystrike - if its stuck in her fur and if she doesnt like being handled it may be easier to ask the vet to help you do this. However the cause of the soft poos or excess cecals, whichever it may be, needs to be tackled through making sure she is eating a high-fibre diet. How old is she and what is her diet like? Does she eat a lot of hay and is she on pellets or muesli mix?

Do you know what has caused the scab? Something with blue skin around it sounds strange and needs a vet to check it over as well, I would have thought.

And as for suddenly turning and destroying toys and scratching and biting could be partly down to pain but also could be her hormones kicking in if she is unspayed and depending on how old she is.

Good luck at the vets - I agree with GrahamL that she needs to be seen by a vet urgently. Please let us know how she gets on.

She is 12 weeks and 3 days. Her diet is as much hay as she wants and 10g of pellets in the morning and in the evening. The breeder we had her from feeds her rabbits greens from birth so we give Ebony a basil leaf every few days, but she hasn't has one today or yesterday.

She wont let me touch her bum since this personality change she had a few days ago.

We're pretty sure she's bashed herself on the pen, she throws herself down with some serious force sometimes and we think she's just nicked her back on the bars. Its very small, dry and not bothering her.

She's stopped cleaning now and i've put some fresh hay down and she's sat in the middle of it munching away.

Shall i give her pellets before i go out or not feed her at all tonight (other than her hay)?

I can only echo GrahamL's advice and say that its very important she sees a vet tonight, especially as she is so young. Young rabbits are even more susceptible. As I say your vets is likely to still be open at this time, and I was hoping that you might have left to go there by now or at least be updating us to say you have rung them.

No offense, but why ask the question, then say that? My answer is "no, it really can't".

Your rabbit needs a vet. Once she is showing signs of an illness, she's already in dire straights, as rabbits hide weakness as best they can to hide from predators, as they are prey creatures.

Alright mate, no need to bite my head off.

What am i supposed to say to work, oh i cant come in as need to take my rabbit to the vets who aren't open past 5 anyway.

I know how delicate rabbits are, i had a horrible experience with my last bun, do you really think if i could've took her to the vet i'd have come on here asking for advice? No, I'd have taken her. But i cant tonight, so i came here to see if you guys had any advice on anything i could do here, before i went out.

Alright mate, no need to bite my head off.

What am i supposed to say to work, oh i cant come in as need to take my rabbit to the vets who aren't open past 5 anyway.

I know how delicate rabbits are, i had a horrible experience with my last bun, do you really think if i could've took her to the vet i'd have come on here asking for advice? No, I'd have taken her. But i cant tonight, so i came here to see if you guys had any advice on anything i could do here, before i went out.

GrahamL and I are just trying to give you some advice. I understand that you are stressed about your rabbit, but we have given you advice and cannot tell you anything else. The rest is up to you.

If you phone your vets they should have an out of hours number that you can phone for advice. Good luck for you and your bun.

GrahamL and I are just trying to give you some advice. I understand that you are stressed about your rabbit, but we have given you advice and cannot tell you anything else. The rest is up to you.

If you phone your vets they should have an out of hours number that you can phone for advice. Good luck for you and your bun.

I have phoned the breeder who does all her own treatment and her advise is if she is still eating/drinking leave her to sort herself out. A few weeks ago she had a big clump of sticky poo and she sorted that out.

I have listened to her tummy and she is still gurgling away and she has not stopped eating or drinking and my vet closed at 5 and i am now on my way to work so what am i supposed to do?

I have phoned the breeder who does all her own treatment and her advise is if she is still eating/drinking leave her to sort herself out. A few weeks ago she had a big clump of sticky poo and she sorted that out.

I have listened to her tummy and she is still gurgling away and she has not stopped eating or drinking and my vet closed at 5 and i am now on my way to work so what am i supposed to do?

With respect, a breeder is not a vet and cannot diagnose and give medical treatment, only a vet can.

You asked for advice from us, it has been given. You could have phoned your vet - or any vet in your area - and get an out of hours number for further advice. I have nothing else to say except why come on to a forum for advice if you are only going to ignore it. What did you want us to say?
I am sorry you are disappointed with our advice, but if you choose to ignore it, it will not be any of us that suffers, only your rabbit. And on that note, I have nothing else to say on the subject.

RU is a helpful forum and for the sake of your rabbit I hope you stick around.

Last edited:
I dont think i'll bother sticking around, it sounds to me like your all scaremongering anyway.

My breeder IS a vet thank you very much, and should i live closer to her and not had to come to work i would've been over there like a shot.

Sometimes the answer is not to immediately pump your pet full of drugs.

And i don't appreciate the insinuation that i am not capable of looking after my rabbit, if it were up to you two she'd already be injected with something and stressed out from being moved from her home. Hows that doing the best for her without even giving her a chance to sort herself out? She's clearly not in GI statis, as she is still pooing.

Dont worry, I've learnt my lesson, i wont be coming back here.

Ok, just trying to be friendly and helpful. I hope the scab on your bunny's back is not infected and I also hope that her tummy issues get sorted out and that she doesnt get flystrike by having a matted bum.

Ah yes what on earth do the members of RU know! :lol:

If the breeder is a vet, you didnt really need RU in the first place then did you? ;)

Are you posting from work now? :wave:

Last edited:
Mmmm - a gurgly tum doesn't sound too hopeful :?

A breeder that's also a vet has been advised that a rabbit is eating less, has faeces all round it's rear, the fur's matted and she's lethargic and the best advice given is to 'let her sort herself out' - Good grief, I pity her clients :roll:

You've been given the best advice and you have chosen to ignore it. It's only your bun that will suffer I'm afraid. Thank heavens it's not Summer otherwise the poor thing would definitely be a candidate for flystrike.

I'm sorry it's not what you want to hear but that bunny needs to see a vet - now

I'm sorry you feel this way about the forum, they have always been on top notch with advice.
Everything you've written sounds like she is in pain. Rabbits hide pain very well and we have all learned to notice the small things and small changes in behaviour that mean they're uncomfortable. We're not vets though, so even if we all think the rabbit might need painkillers we are all telling you to go to the vet because the vet might think completely differently! Reduced eating and lethargy is a huge problem too. It could be anything from gas to teeth issues which is why everyone said to go to the vets.

You also didn't state that your breeder was a vet so we had no way of knowing, but no good vet would give that advice to a rabbit who is lethargic and who's eating had slowed down, at least without a check up first. I think you should get a second opinion.

You asked for advice, this is mine. If you don't like it, I'm sorry.

Hi there

We've had our Bun a few weeks now and she's doing really well up until a few days ago, she suddenly turned and started destroying all her toys and scratching and biting us whenever we go near her.

Then today i managed to pick her up to check her out (shes got a little scab on her back with blue skin around it so ive been trying to check every day) anyway, i looked at her bum and she's all matted and pooey around her bottom. Not big clumps, just poo stuck to all the hair right up to her belly. And it stinks.

She is eating, and drinking, but not very much, and cleaning herself (but not her bottom area). She also seems very lethargic, she just keeps lying down whereas normally she's chewing and binkying around her playpen.

Any advice? Do i need to take her to the vet or leave her? I have to go out tonight but i am concerned that i wont be able to watch her to make sure she's still eating etc etc.

Thanks

I've not read the thread so forgive me if some of this has been discussed already.

Sorry to hear you are having difficulty with you rabbit at the moment.

A change in behavior can often be a sign of illness in rabbits. The poo around her bottom can be due to dental issues or alternatively we just had a bunny who has had major intestinal problems who had the same symptoms pooing all the way up to her belly. She is now just back from major surgery to investigate the reason behind this.

In the recent cases of illness i've witnessed with symptoms similar to your rabbits situation, the bunnies have not stopped eating. The only signs of problems have been down to changes in droppings and behavior.

If you can get her to an emergency vet, this is the best plan as rabbits can sometimes pass away in the night due to these kind of problems.

Hope you get the help you need.
All the best,
Jane

Last edited:
Let tone it down a little please - no need to yell :)

If she's eating, drinking,pooping and active they you could check her regularly and see a vet in the morning. It's a good idea to track an out of hours vet down just in case because even if you don't need it today, it's much easier to find one now that when you do have a every minute counts emergency.

I would stick to the hay tonight as that's best for her stomach, and just continue to check she's eating over night. It maybe she'll sort herself out but bunnies can go from fairly okay looking to deaths door in a few hours, which is why everyone is keen on the vet asap.

How long has she been with you? Have you changed pellet brand? It's odd for a rabbit eating such a high hay portion to get a poopy bottom. Particularly if she's eaten veg as a youngster too.

Ok, just trying to be friendly and helpful. I hope the scab on your bunny's back is not infected and I also hope that her tummy issues get sorted out and that she doesnt get flystrike by having a matted bum.

Ah yes what on earth do the members of RU know! :lol:

If the breeder is a vet, you didnt really need RU in the first place then did you? ;)

Are you posting from work now? :wave:

I couldn't get hold of her straight away, so i thought oh i'll ask here cause they seem like a helpful bunch. i didn't expect to get bombarded when i didn't have time to find an out of hours emergency vet when i had to be at work. yes i did post from work, this website isn't blocked on their system.

For those of you who are actually interested in my bunny's welfare you'll be pleased to know that when i got home last night she was binkying around her pen and climbing up to see me. I gave her some pellets and she immediately went and started munching. Her bum was still a bit messy but she had tried to clean herself as there were little bits of fur on the floor.

This morning when i got up she is totally clean and fine. Scoffing hay, jumping around and chewing her toys. She still doesn't like being picked up but that has been as issue for a few days now, and we are taking her to see our vet-breeder on friday so she can give her a full health check.

And to whoever said tummy gurgling is bad, you want to check your facts before you give 'advise', one way you know a rabbits gut is still working is if you can hear soft gurgles, if there is no sound thats when you worry.

Let tone it down a little please - no need to yell :)

If she's eating, drinking,pooping and active they you could check her regularly and see a vet in the morning. It's a good idea to track an out of hours vet down just in case because even if you don't need it today, it's much easier to find one now that when you do have a every minute counts emergency.

I would stick to the hay tonight as that's best for her stomach, and just continue to check she's eating over night. It maybe she'll sort herself out but bunnies can go from fairly okay looking to deaths door in a few hours, which is why everyone is keen on the vet asap.

How long has she been with you? Have you changed pellet brand? It's odd for a rabbit eating such a high hay portion to get a poopy bottom. Particularly if she's eaten veg as a youngster too.

We've had her for 3 weeks today. No she has exactly the same food and hay. And we hadn't even given her any greens yesterday.

Fair enough with finding a out of hours vet for the future if we need it, this is good advise, thank you.

Back