• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Smaller droppings alongside normal size droppings. Is this anything to worry about?

Tinamoo

Young Bun

Hi All,

Over this past week when I have been cleaning out my rabbit I have noticed smaller droppings alongside normal sized droppings. My rabbit is just over 2 years old and appears to be healthy. He is looking and behaving as he normally does. The only change in his diet is some beetroot sticks that I bought him from the pet shop.

I was just wondering if this is something I should be worrying about. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

That could the beginnings of a GI (Gastro Intestinal) slowdown, meaning the gut is slowing down.

It could also be a reaction to the treat you have given, or the fact he's eaten the treat and so, less hay/fibrous material.

I would strongly recommend not feeding any further treats, return his diet to hay/veg/pellets for a week or so and seeing if it continue. If the number of smaller, darker poops increases, it's time to get to the vets. If he stops passing poops/eating all together, it's an emergency and requires an immediate visit to the vets.

Monitor him and see how you get on.

Keep us informed how he is :wave:

The droppings do vary in size depending on what they've been eating, so I would just keep an eye on him and make sure he eats lots of hay. Perhaps he's had one beetroot stick too many.

Thank you very much for the replies. I will cut out his the treats and just give him his pellets, hay and carrots. I will keep my eye on him. :wave:

Back