• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Drooping Face

moet

New Kit
Hi There,
My beautiful rabbit has a drooping face.but seems ok otherwise.(No discharge or other issues.) Is eating and pooping fine.

She is on a 2 week course of oral antibiotics and is booked in for a dental checkup under sedation & xray.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this has happened and what the prognosis may be ?

regards

tanya

Hiya,
Im really not sure what it could be, but didnt want to read and run. Id guess some sort of nerve damage, although it could also be neurological of course. Sounds like your vet is on the ball. Its great theyre doing a dental check and xray on her, that might give you some answers.

Hope shes ok :wave:

Hello

I will reply to your PM here if that is OK

I assume that this is the photo you are refering to, the late Bernie

001-11.jpg

Her problem was caused by repeated ear infections which eventually caused damage to the facial nerves. Whilst the palsy did not resolve, Bernie was unaffected by it and it was not painful. Shewas also a Dental Rabbit, but her Dental issues did not get any worse as a result of her partial facial paralysis.

I hope that your Vet can find the cause of Moet's 'drooping face' :)

Mischa's face started drooping when he had an ear infection and snuffles. It atrophied afterwards and it's now raised on one side but it doesn't really affect him :)

as Jacks Jane and others have said - the droop (typically on one side only) starts as a droop and then as the muscles atrophy they tighten and it becomes a tightening and lifting on one side.

It is most usually the result of an inner ear infection or other infection affecting the nerves on that side.

You may need to ask vet again about stronger abx for any infection in that area.

Our Parsley developed exactly the same about 2 years ago.

Thanks for yr reply.

How is Parsley 2 yrs on ?

we have never noticed anything unusual about our Moet,so this drooping has shocked us.

Regards

as Jacks Jane and others have said - the droop (typically on one side only) starts as a droop and then as the muscles atrophy they tighten and it becomes a tightening and lifting on one side.

It is most usually the result of an inner ear infection or other infection affecting the nerves on that side.

You may need to ask vet again about stronger abx for any infection in that area.

Our Parsley developed exactly the same about 2 years ago.

Thanks for yr reply.

How is Parsley 2 yrs on ?

we have never noticed anything unusual about our Moet,so this drooping has shocked us.

Regards

well he still has the tightening on one side as once that happens it cannot be reversed. However he is fortunate in that it has not affected his eye (which it can do) or eyelids. He dribbles a little bit.

His ear infection is unfortunately incurable (we have tried everything there is) but we are holding it . . and he is a very happy bunny!!!

PS when he first had the 'droop' the ear infection was so far down in the ear that the vet could not find it it even when she was pretty certain it was there . . it came up on a CT scan

i'm not sure but it sounds like you have a good vet who is doing all the necessary tests and xrays. hope everything will be ok. x

Hiya. Totti also has a drooping face now which is a result of the abscess in his ear. He's had this since Nov 2010 and it gets cleaned out every day. He is also on oral antibiotics now as well as me putting anti-bio drops in the cleaned abscess cavity. I'd say the drooping occured about a month ago and it has got worse since this photo was taken.

The Vet has advised me that it is nerve damage caused by the infection and has given Tottis teeth etc. a thorough check. His teeth are fine and the drooping does not affect his ability to eat, which is just as well as he has a very healthy appetite.

Totts003.jpg

I am heartened to read that Parsnip is still going strong 2 years on, it is good to share these experiences.

Good luck with Moet x

Thank you Jill,

were you aware of the absess in tottis ear at the time ?, or did it only become obvious there was a problem when you noticed the drooping face?

from what Im reading it seems tooth & ear issues can result in nerve damage to the face.

Reagrads Tan

Hi. Tottis had the abscess for 13 months and the droopy facefor about 1 month. The first indication of the ear abscess was discharge in the ear. It was wrongly diagnosed as wax by the vet I don't usually see.

Back