• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Expensive hay v farm hay

*lily*

Wise Old Thumper
I buy Louie a wheelie bin sized bag full of hay from the local farm, it costs me £1.

I decided to buy him a small bag of hay that had cammomile and marigolds in it, cost me nearly £3.

Guess which one he eats the most of still? :roll:

:lol::lol::lol:

Alfie and Bubbles will eat the expensive stuff but I never buy it any more as they're just as happy with the farm hay.

Yep mine are the same! I bought a few of the Excel herbages ones and they wont eat them!! They have really started nomming the farm hay too:thumb:!

Ditto here too, the only non baled stuff i get is timothy and oat but if they didn't get it they wouldn't miss it.

:oops:
I think mine may now be spoiled.

I buy them one bale of farm hay, three smaller bags of kiln dried grass, one Alfalfa King Timothy, two small bags of dried plantain, two small bags dried dandeloin per week.
It gets mixed up into forage for them to attack each day topped with any wild herbage available from in the garden.

My teenagers think the rabbits are better fed than they are.

Bought my two "Fresh Alpine Hay" at 4 times the pice of the normal brand, and all I got was one little buck looking up at me with sad eyes, and one large doe kicking it into her toilet area :roll:

So, we're back to the normal brand...

bella and now jasper will only eat alfafa kings timothy hay at £8 a small bag :roll:

ive tried everything, ive got samples of all types of hay and bella especially will have none of it. she goes on hay strike :shock: and now jasper does the same thing :roll:

All of mine love the farm hay. It has all sorts in it like clover and I think I saw yarrow. It was £5.50 for a bale and my friend went half with me. She takes a bag home every few days for her rabbits and they go mad for it too. I think I bought it in September and with three rabbits and four chinchillas eating it as the main part of their diet it still isn't half gone. :shock: :)

Once I introduced mine to farm hay they turned their noses up at the hay for pets stuff. I am thrilled!!

This batch is the first lot of farm type hay I've given my buns.. it's very soft and they seem to be eating it. But their poos don't look as big and golden as they were on the hay for pets hay we had before (although they'd only had one batch of that too, but their poo's seem to go big and golden almost straight away!) I read somewhere that farn hay nay not be so nutritious too, is this true? Coz it is sooooo much cheaper and easier to get, I get a big bin bag full for £1.39! :) Debating whether need to order a bag of posh hay before Christmas though...

This batch is the first lot of farm type hay I've given my buns.. it's very soft and they seem to be eating it. But their poos don't look as big and golden as they were on the hay for pets hay we had before (although they'd only had one batch of that too, but their poo's seem to go big and golden almost straight away!) I read somewhere that farn hay nay not be so nutritious too, is this true? Coz it is sooooo much cheaper and easier to get, I get a big bin bag full for £1.39! :) Debating whether need to order a bag of posh hay before Christmas though...

I wouldn't have thought there was any difference, personally, though I'm no expert!

i dont know if its just my area but the farm hay i have tried in the past is no where near as green as the alfafa kings timothy hay, bella wont touch anything that isnt greener than green :? :roll:

i bought some timothy hay from wilko today 1kg for 2.29 they are normally on meadow is timothy good for them ?

Back