• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

wildie owners

About 9 months. I have a half-wild and she's smaller than her mother but looks to be the same size as most of the rabbits I see in our fields.

Edited to add: Gingernut is 12 months old now and hasn't changed in size in the past few months. She isn't as stocky as her mother but when she stretches out, she's a surprisingly long rabbit.

Yeah 9 months seems about right. I had mine spayed 7-8 months ish. She's about the size of a nethie.

Although too fat

Maybe the age of maturity is different for males though? also arent wild males ment to be bigger than wild females?

Pippin (male wildie) is still very small and he is about 8 months now. He was hand reared so maybe he is going to stay small.

They mature slower so I'd agree about 9 months. They are quite lean and leggy compared to a lot of domestics which are very chunky. Scamp is about 1.45kg.

Peter my wildie cross was 9 months before he was done....I also have 2 wildiie cross girls who are smaller and. More. Leggy

Thats a great picture of pippin, wildies are my favourite by far, The way rabbits should look. my wildie is still smaller than pippin, aand still as wild as the day I found him, I worry about neutering big time.

Wouldn,t. Worry about it. We did also with peter. He is a escape artist still and will chew yyou out of house aand home. But it did calm him down a little . We hope to put him and his partner with the two wildie x girls when we get some better weather than we are having of late then they can chew away till there hhhearts content

Well at the moment my wildie is in a pen that is becide a pen with two female domestics that are about 2 months older than him (9 months). He has an artificial warren and is mostly nocturnal unless i put food outside his burrow entrance (pipe) by day, He is not taking much notice of the two girls in the pen next to him, but im sure that when his balls drop he will and i will use this as my indicator of when to neuter? sound like a plan?

Here are a couple of pics of Collielover's girls. They were fostered here before they were adopted by her.

SkyStick1.JPG

SDC12115.JPG

And the run they had in an effort to tire them out! Never worked though...

SDC12101.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice bunnys, how would you say they differ to the pure wild rabbit, Would they be larger and more docile? they do always seem to throw more towards the wild parent than the domestic in appearance. Thanks for the pictures.

What do you think of my plan above?

Very nice bunnys, how would you say they differ to the pure wild rabbit, Would they be larger and more docile? they do always seem to throw more towards the wild parent than the domestic in appearance. Thanks for the pictures.

What do you think of my plan above?

Unfortunately these two are rescues and we don't know how far back the wild rabbit influence goes. Their highly destructive nature and sleek body are the main reason we suspect they have wildie in them. In terms of size, these two are very dainty and fine boned, especially next to my large crossbreed Floppy.

I think your plan to wait, neuter and take it from there will work well. I wish you all the best!

Thank you, it will be great when the three can live together, eventhough i assume that my wildie will still be nocturnal even when he is living in the same enclosure as my domestics.

Back