• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

wet fur under chin..sore eyes...damp nose..anal polyp swollen

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
poor bertie...its a long list:( i will be ringing vets in morning to see if i can get him a total overhaul with a vet whos a bit more rabbit savvy...there are a few there now....ive seen 3 of them..and others who try.

bertie had a course of alamycin not that long ago....and hes had a long depocillin course early this year....but even with bisolvon twice daily..the snotty nose...well damp nose in one nostril has returned. His eyes look like his ducts need flushing again too...for some reason his under the chin fur is bald and wet.....he had a full skull xray last year i think it was..and was told he had a perfect jawbone and dental roots.....but i guess that can change?

sigh..im mortified..i pulled dry poo off his botty and pulled his anal polyp back out and it wont go back in and is swollen and very painful.....the vets given me some fuciderm gel for it....hes had it before..but i wish i could numb it for him with a local anaesthetic product like germeloids.

we had to clip him last night..hes such a mess.....our old vets used to take him off and clean him up where we were to nervous to go...ie round his bottom hole and his bits...i might have to ask if the nurses could do this at the vets were now with.....he gets so stressed having to be cleaned up..we do what we can until his breahtings too laboured. cant over stimulate him in case he has another seizure.

to make an appointment for an overhaul...i hope it can all be done with in the one visit...he cannot be allowed to stress.

BUT im worried...our disbility level access shower drainage pump broke again the other night.....and where they never came back last time the boxwod stinks of damp..the tiles are still on the floor where they left em! tomorrow the plumber should come out and sort it...tuesday supposedly the carpenter and tiler should finish the job.

im worried bout bertie getting stressed by noise and workmen but havent got another option...

if they dont do the job...ill be lucky if they are free before christmas at all...sigh...

i worry were neglecting him..how does everyone else manage or are we the only bunowners in a situation where butt cleanings too much for the bun?

if hes in more pain than the metacam can provide...are we being cruel to him...but hes eating...drinking...moving around...asking to brushed...nose rubs etc etc.....

poor old fella...bluebells bitten his tail again......but it seems to be healing fine.

Poor Bertie.

I don't know Debbie. Nancy used to have a dirty bottom and I had to wash her all the time, but didn't have the breathing problems with her.

I can't believe they left the shower like that. What really poo service. I would be furious, such terrible service, but it doesn't surprise me. Next time chuck the tiles at them from the top of the stairs.:shock:

I actually often leave Grim's bum. He's on long term antibiotics and can't eat hay so you can imagine what his poos are like. :lol:
He gets very stressed by bum cleaning so I often leave him if it's not too bad. Sometimes he can manage to get it off (no front teeth makes it hard). Sometimes a huge lump hangs down and swing about when he hops so I have to get someone to rub his cheeks while I reach underneath and try and prize it off without hurting him. Sometimes it's on his 'bits' and then he needs a bath. :?

I hope he's okay. Sometimes when buns get stressed I let them do thinks their own way. Yes things like flystrike are a risk, but so is being stressed and you have to weigh the two against each other. Especially in the winter I think bum cleanings can wait. You're not neglecting him, you're doing what you think is best. There isn't just right and wrong. It all depends on circumstances. Sending him vibes.

Oh dear poor Bertie :cry:

Are the prolapsed polyp and bites the ones that happened last week, or has it all happened a second time ? :cry:

In all honesty I think Bertie does need another urgent overhaul by the Vet. The wet chin could indicate Dental problems. Demineralisation of bone can occur in aged and debilitated Rabbits. So a skull Xray over a year ago is not going to give a true picture of what may be going on now. Given Bertie's chronic Pasteurellosis tooth root abscessation is another possibility. This would can cause excessive salivation. If the chin and dewlap are constantly wet then infected dermatitis and/or fungal infections can occur. This would not only be difficult to treat but it is also extremely painful :cry:

With regards to the polyp, that too certainly sounds as though an urgent reassessment is needed. It must be so sore for him :cry:

Also the bite wounds, as you will know the risk of him getting an abscess is really high because of his Pasteurellosis. If the bite wound gets covered in feces this will just exacerbate the problem :cry:

I am sure that the situation, which has sounded to be very difficult for some time now, must be so distressing for you and for Bertie :cry: That is why I would urge you to get him seen by a Vet today

Sending tons of vibes for him xx

Back