• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spay. UD: back to vets for dressings

Vita

Mama Doe
This is quite usual, isn't it? I see so many worried threads.

Ada is going in tomorrow morning.

She is such a lovely creature, so beautiful and clever and friendly and I desperately want her to be alright. I have hardly started getting to know her yet and I want her to be around for a very long time.

Of course, the vast majority of them are alright, but you still worry.

She still sneezes a bit, but who knows, we could be waiting forever if we looked for some benchmark like no sneezing for a week before spaying.

At least she is going to a very experienced vet. And at the beginning of the week, so we've got days of them being open in case there are any problems. I will be getting some Critical Care when I bring her home, just in case. And they are living in my bedroom just now so I can keep a close eye on her; they've had a few days to get used to this new home, and I've never once seen or heard them panic here, they way they sometimes did downstairs.

It is sad and frustrating that I can't talk about it with her so *she* could decide whether she would want this done, and if so, when.
She is obliviously munching hay at the moment.

Fingers crossed xxx

Last edited:
Julie was my first and only rabbit that I had spayed. I was a nervous wreck. She did great though. She lives in the kitchen so I slept on the floor in the kitchen with her just in case. I understand your nervousness. I am sending mega vibes for her and you too.

Aww big vibes for her. I was so worried when I took my pair to be spayed -

Wish I'd had the common sense to go on Monday like you did!! (a bank holiday weekend of open wounds and dashing to the nearest (not very) vet was not fun!)

I'm sure she'll be fine - just think forward 24 hours - she'll be all done and sorted :)

Make sure you get some metacam to bring home :wave:

If it makes you feel better my snuffles bun has been under anesthetic for dentals a few times now and has survived the anesthetic, plenty of buns do as dental problems are common in snuffle buns. Your vet should check her chest just before as well.

Try not to worrry, although I know you will. Best of luck.

Thanks guys.

I already have most of a bottle of Metacam at home - no need to buy more yet.

ETA. She has already been under GA once for a C&S test. She was a bit woozy for a few hours after coming home, but basically ok.
Beatrix seemed to recover almost instantly from her GA (also C&S) - she seems generally hardier, so I worry more about Ada. The vet wanted B to have a course of Marbocyl for her (fairly infrequent) sneezing before spaying her, though.

Last edited:
The vets phoned. They said Ada has been done and she is fine.
I'm glad she was done early in the day, as she's got a few hours of the vets keeping an eye on her before I collect her.

Yay! :D She should be feeling a whole heap better by Christmas now. Do you have any fenugreek crunchies? I'm sure she'd like one of them when she's home again, for being so brave at the hospital.

Thank you :)

I meant to get some Crunchies so they could try them for the first time at Christmas, but I forgot (made a THE order a few days ago). She will be getting plenty of basil and Oxbow hay, which are her favourite foods so far.

They are home!

I was expecting a very sad sluggish bun who curled up in corners and perhaps dragged herself a few centimetres towards food. Not one who is basically behaving as normal. Though she is perhaps eating a little less, snd has a slightly mournful look in her eyes.

She has a little white sticky thing in the corner of one eye - just as humans get sometimes, but this should go away soon. And her fur is a bit sticky because she had subcutaneous fluids. (Which after the first time I saw that treatment I can't help thinking of as "camel-rabbit".:)

The vets seem very laid back about it all - no need to take her off hay bedding, for instance. But I've gone to all this trouble with blankets now, so it's not like I'm going to undo it :)
And as I've read FHB doesn't either, they don't send them home with Metacam, though I've got some in the house as she'd been taking it for sneezing anyway. I'm curious about this... I've heard of a few good rabbit vets not giving a course of Metacam after spays, but the opinion on here is very much that they should have it.

Controversy aside, Ada is having a growth spurt at last! :D :D She is 1.82kg now. She was 1.65 on their last visit ten days ago.
Beatrix is 1.70kg now and has some Marbocyl.

I've just seen her humping Beatrix and she is digging determinedly at the blanket floor. Glad she's feeling that much better, but hoping she isn't doing herself any harm.

ETA. Damn, I think she might be pulling her stitches out. Bitey sounding noise whilst she's washing in that area.

Last edited:
Has she got pain relief? Sometimes they start attacking stitches when they're in discomfort.

Has she got pain relief? Sometimes they start attacking stitches when they're in discomfort.

I've had a look at her. There are two sticky-out threads (one at the bottom as you'd expect, one near the middle) but everything looks like it's intact and in line and no apparent gaping.

They don't give pain relief (see earlier post in thread). I have been giving her 0.2ml of metacam as I already have some in the house. My theory being that this will take the edge off, but as she can only be led by what she is feeling and does not have the knowledge that she isn't supposed to do certain things in order to let the wound heal, some degree of discomfort will discourage big jumps etc. TBH I was concerned about having given metacam against vet advice and her having pulled stitches out because of this.

The area looks fine but I will give the vets a call to clarify whether there should be two of the sticky-out threads, in case the middle one is bitten through.

I've had a look at her. There are two sticky-out threads (one at the bottom as you'd expect, one near the middle) but everything looks like it's intact and in line and no apparent gaping.

They don't give pain relief (see earlier post in thread). I have been giving her 0.2ml of metacam as I already have some in the house. My theory being that this will take the edge off, but as she can only be led by what she is feeling and does not have the knowledge that she isn't supposed to do certain things in order to let the wound heal, some degree of discomfort will discourage big jumps etc. TBH I was concerned about having given metacam against vet advice and her having pulled stitches out because of this.

The area looks fine but I will give the vets a call to clarify whether there should be two of the sticky-out threads, in case the middle one is bitten through.

Most vets do internal sticthed with a bunny spay - are you sure she doens't have these? No idea about the humping.... was she already hormonal before her spay? It may be that her hormones are still there and she's getting it all out of her system xx

Back