• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this true about female bunnies...

chul

Staff member
I am trying to tell someone on a facebook group that spaying rabbits is best, and they just said this:

yes but there are also reports that say a rabbit that is/has been bred from are less lightly then those that haven't of getting ovarian cancer.

Is this true :?

That gets said about all animals...Better they have a litter first.
I dont know about the truth.I think most vets would disagree,imo.

It is a fact that by speying a female rabbit that you can remove the risk of uterine cancer if they are neutered early enough. The vet I use neuteres all the rabbits for a local rescue and prior to her starting at our local vets she was not 100% certain of these facts, after neutering lots of rabbits she has seen lots of very young rabbits with early signs of cell changes in their uterus which would eventually turn into a uterine cancer.

Female hormones which peak when female rabbits reach puberty are reduced by neutering, many female rabbits growl and nip once they reach puberty, following neutering most of these rabbits will settle and evenually calm down. Female rabbits may also nest due to their hormones, knowing what human females feel like when their hormones peak they must not feel very happy with themselves or life. by neutering the hormones will become lower and the rabbit will lead a 'happier hormonal existance'. I have seen this with my own eyes and would definately recommend all females to be neutered.

Even if a litter reduces the risk, spaying removes the risk entirely. Maybe point that out

This!
It does reduce the risk but won't stop them getting it. Plus it's also dangerous for a bun to have a litter, especially if you don't know the ancestors for at least three generations back. You cannot know what health issues might arise.
It seems silly to me to let a rabbit have a litter to stop cancer. She's still going to have hormones so might still be aggressive, spray and might be hard to bond.

This!
It does reduce the risk but won't stop them getting it. Plus it's also dangerous for a bun to have a litter, especially if you don't know the ancestors for at least three generations back. You cannot know what health issues might arise.
It seems silly to me to let a rabbit have a litter to stop cancer. She's still going to have hormones so might still be aggressive, spray and might be hard to bond.

It is a breeder I am debating with.... given up on it now. They are all breeders and don't want to listen. :( I can PM the link to the page if anyone wants to explain to them for me? :lol:

Last edited:
Human women are more at risk of certain cancers as well if they've never had a baby, but it wouldn't make me want one.

I'd definitely go with spaying.

Even if a litter reduces the risk, spaying removes the risk entirely. Maybe point that out

If you are meaning that an ex breeding rabbit is at less risk of uterine cancer, you will find if you talk to many resuces they will confirm that many of the ex breeding rabbits they have taken in have either had uterine cancer or changes in the cells within their uterus.

Helen had reported that many of the Lymington rabbits has signs of uterine cancers and these were obtained from a breeder who was giving up http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?256098-Uterine-cancer

This answers all the questions and dismisses the myth of a ltter being effective:

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/uterine.htm

When people make claims on other forums that there are reports or studies supporting their position which I doubt, I ask them to link the information so I can read it. They usually bluster or not respond, most likely because it doesn't exist, but their overall credibility takes a bit of a hit.:)

Back