• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molly's lost weight

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
About a month ago, she went to the vets for her Myxi Jab and she was weighed at 2.1kg at the vets. I weighed her at home and she weighed 2.2kg on my scales.

I've just weighed her and she's 1.7kg. :? This is a bit concerning, especially as its winter and she's lost 500g in a month (using the same scales). :( Should I start hand feeding her more pellets so I know she's getting a bit more than Milly?

Milly is the dominant one and will bully Molly around, especially around food so I wonder if Milly gets more food and Molly less?

Gladly, Milly has lost 100g from 2.5kg which she weighed on my scales a month ago. We were worried she was gaining too much, so 2.4kg is good right now i think.

This is a picture of their dinner which they share (they get a handful of Readigrass and a pinch of SS pellets). They get the same amount of pellets in the morning but no readigrass.
DSCF17781.jpg

As Molly has a known problem with recurrent abscesses I would get her checked over by the Vets again. Even if there is no obvious abscessation now, it may be that the infection has gone elsewhere via her bloodstream. A check of her teeth would be a good idea too, even if she has never had Dental issues before,

As for her food, I would definitely feed her more pellets, probably double the amount she is currently having. Increase it gradually though. It would be a good idea to feed her separately from Milly to make sure Molly gets the extra amount.

Well done for keeping a check on their weights. Weightloss is sometimes the very first indication of a problem and by doing as you are you will pick up on a potential problem early :)

I know others feed very little pellets but my 3 would definitely not be happy with that many. Mine get about double that each, morning and evening.

Snowdrop can be hard to keep weight on and so sometimes she will have porridge with apple or banana mashed in.

Unless Molly has dental problems and really needs to eat a lot of hay to keep teeth down I'd give her more and try seperate them when you feed them :)

Thank you for your advice. As she is eating well, drinking well, acting normally and her hocks are doing well, I'll increase her pellets by handfeeding, re-weigh her in a week and then go from there. If she's losing more weight, then she'll go to the vet. :)

I too would give more pellets, that doesn't seem a lot for winter. Mine are on double portions at the moment.

Right, I don't know if its measurement error or she's gained a lot of weight in 3 days, but I weighed her today and she weighs her original weight of 2.1kg. :thumb: So whatever the reason, she's back to the weight I want her to be. :thumb:

They are being fed separately and she's getting about double what Milly is getting. Milly gets around 4-5 SS pellets twice daily and Molly's getting around 8-10 pellets twice daily. It may seem a small amount that Milly gets but she's at the top end of the weight range (around 2.4kg) so anymore she would be overweight.

I'll weigh her again in a few days and continue this so that she doesn't gain too much weight (being overweight would be bad for her hocks) but also doesn't lose any either. :D

Right, I don't know if its measurement error or she's gained a lot of weight in 3 days, but I weighed her today and she weighs her original weight of 2.1kg. :thumb: So whatever the reason, she's back to the weight I want her to be. :thumb:

They are being fed separately and she's getting about double what Milly is getting. Milly gets around 4-5 SS pellets twice daily and Molly's getting around 8-10 pellets twice daily. It may seem a small amount that Milly gets but she's at the top end of the weight range (around 2.4kg) so anymore she would be overweight.

I'll weigh her again in a few days and continue this so that she doesn't gain too much weight (being overweight would be bad for her hocks) but also doesn't lose any either. :D

Great news :D

Back