• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

SUDDEN DEATH; can some buns CARRY fatal bun illnesses?

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
My friend has lost 3 buns this year, all after being bonded with her female, all from different places, and all very suddenly (though the first one always battled to keep weight on).

Could her female bun be carrying something/resistant to something that the males aren't?

Ive asked her to get a PM, its the only way to have some idea. :(

Cocoidosis? VHD? Bordetella?

BTW, both buns are always vacced and neutered (the female is spayed).

I think I know who you're talking about :( I just couldn't believe it when I saw her status on FB. It all seems so very strange :(

That's awful news. I think I'd urge the person to get a PM done on the last one too if there are no clues as to why this is happening.

I think that VHD would have to be the most likely candidate, despite vaccination if it's totally unexpected and sudden, unless there are other underlying issues that could have affected all of them. No other way to know so I hope the owner goes for it.

Oh how awful :( I would suspect coccidioisis - buns that survive cocci become immune to that particular strain, so it's possible that she's becoma a symptomless carrier. I would strongly recommend getting a faecal sample from her tested to see if it contains either a higher number of spores than usual or a small number of the particularly virulent strains such as hepatic cocci. I really hope she manages to get some answers xx

Back