• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very sad times but i need advise

Vickys3765

New Kit
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Hi All

i was only on last sunday asking for help and here i am again.

We got 2 bunnies on sunday, we had them in the garage for a few hours (then from advise on here we brought them in where they have been happy.
On Monday i took them to the vets they had a little MOT and they where both ok and they had myxo injection.
When we 1st got them Charlie (All Black English Lop) was very quiet but has slowly come out of his self. where as Lola (Beige and white english lop) has been really nosey from the word go always wanting your attention. then today we got them out for a run round and lola wasn't quite himself very quiet, and we noticed very smelly!! very smelly!!
Then tonight at 8pm our little girl said good night to them and he was just sat quietly!! then we checked him again at 9pm and he had sadly passed away!:cry::cry:! we are devested and we have no idea how we are going to tell our little girl she loved them so much!!:cry::cry:
But what could it of been???
Will Charlie be ok?? as he had been banging his foot since it all hapened?? we have cleaned the hutch out but we are worried if it is something he will get?
Should we get another rabbit asap or wait or not at all??
we just dont know what to do for the best??
Thanks for advise in advance
xx
:cry::cry:

Last edited:
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Hi All

i was only on last sunday asking for help and here i am again.

We got 2 bunnies on sunday, we had them in the garage for a few hours (then from advise on here we brought them in where they have been happy.
On Monday i took them to the vets they had a little MOT and they where both ok and they had myxo injection.
When we 1st got them Charlie (All Black English Lop) was very quiet but has slowly come out of his self. where as Lola (Beige and white english lop) has been really nosey from the word go always wanting your attention. then today we got them out for a run round and lola wasn't quite himself very quiet, and we noticed very smelly!! very smelly!!
Then tonight at 8pm our little girl said good night to them and he was just sat quietly!! then we checked him again at 9pm and he had sadly passed away!:cry::cry:! we are devested and we have no idea how we are going to tell our little girl she loved them so much!!:cry::cry:
But what could it of been???
Will Charlie be ok?? as he had been banging his foot since it all hapened?? we have cleaned the hutch out but we are worried if it is something he will get?
Should we get another rabbit asap or wait or not at all??
we just dont know what to do for the best??
Thanks for advise in advance
xx
:cry::cry:

Im sorry for your loss :cry:
Were the bunnies vaccinated against VHD?

Hello.

I am sorry to hear about the sudden loss of your rabbit.

To be honest, I think, as it was so unexpected I'd try and have a post mortem done as the vet had obviously thought the rabbit to be in full health in order to give the Myxo jab.

It might be important in case it's something that might affect your remaining bunny. Post mortems need to be carried out soon after passing to get the best information.

Without that, you won't know what happened (although pm's also don't always give you all the information).

Ultimately you will need to find your rabbit a new friend, but maybe it will be prudent just to monitor and see how the rabbit behaves on it's own. I'd make sure that the next bunny you choose comes from somewhere that ensures that the rabbit is already vaccinated and neutered, (and properly healthchecked) and that way you wont' have quite so much worry about any hidden health issues, as you might if you go to a pet shop or to the freeads etc. Also a good rescue will bond up for you taking away the worry of 'will it work'.

I do hope that things work out for you all.

Helen

they were booked in for that on 19th as it had too be 2 weeks after myxi injaction, and the myx need to be done 1st as there has been out break round here
xx

How devastating :( I don`t really have much more advice, but it sounds like you were doing everything right. So sorry for your loss, hopefully you can find out the cause.

So sorry you have had to experience this so soon and so horribly. Keep a close eye on Charlie, if he seems 'off' it is best to take him to the vet straight away, the poor things go downhill so fast :(

I would have a postmortem done to figure out the cause. Can I ask how old Lola was? My first thought with unexplained deaths in unvaccinated rabbits is vhd, but for some reason very young rabbits arent affected by it. My second thought would be gut trouble, like stasis or an upset stomach, which is all too common in pet shop rabbits because of the quick succession they change homes (breeder-shop-owner often in a few days) and the changes in food. The only way to know the cause and if it will affect Charlie is to have a postmortem done.

As for getting another rabbit, try not to panic. Wait and let it all sink in, come to terms with it yourselves. When Charlie is old enough (12 weeks or older) you can get him neutered and then you still have 6-8 weeks to wait before he can have a friend anyway, so there is plenty of time. He will need another friend, but that can wait. Look after yourselves and Charlie for now.

Hope this helps, so sorry you have had this terrible experience.

they were booked in for that on 19th as it had too be 2 weeks after myxi injaction, and the myx need to be done 1st as there has been out break round here
xx

:( how sad :( there are many things the bunny could of died of unfortuently and its very hard for people to diagnose over the internet, As the duchess said, it would probably be good if you try and get a post mortem done, hope your other bunny is ok :love: :cry: x

So sorry you have had to experience this so soon and so horribly. Keep a close eye on Charlie, if he seems 'off' it is best to take him to the vet straight away, the poor things go downhill so fast :(

I would have a postmortem done to figure out the cause. Can I ask how old Lola was? My first thought with unexplained deaths in unvaccinated rabbits is vhd, but for some reason very young rabbits arent affected by it. My second thought would be gut trouble, like stasis or an upset stomach, which is all too common in pet shop rabbits because of the quick succession they change homes (breeder-shop-owner often in a few days) and the changes in food. The only way to know the cause and if it will affect Charlie is to have a postmortem done.

As for getting another rabbit, try not to panic. Wait and let it all sink in, come to terms with it yourselves. When Charlie is old enough (12 weeks or older) you can get him neutered and then you still have 6-8 weeks to wait before he can have a friend anyway, so there is plenty of time. He will need another friend, but that can wait. Look after yourselves and Charlie for now.

Hope this helps, so sorry you have had this terrible experience.

He was 14 weeks!! So very sad!!:cry:

You mention a smell, maybe it would be worth consulting with your vet about coccidosis which i believe can start with a smell and is common in younger rabbits.

I am sorry

I would strongly suspect Coccidiosis. What makes me say this is your comment about him being 'very very smelly'. Was it a rancid 'Farmyard like' smell? Some Vets will state that it cant be Cocci if there was no diarrhoea. Sadly I know *from first hand experience* that this is definitely NOT the case and the only presenting symptom was a few hours of seeming 'off colour' before a sudden death :cry:

I would advise you to get the Doe to a Vet ASAP a *if* it was Coccidiosis it is highly contageous. I would also dispose of all bedding or anyything that could be contaminated with feces. I would also *steam clean* the entire environment. Steam will clean Coccidia, the only disinfectant that will is Jeyes Fluid, but this is obviously highly toxic. If you use that great care is needed with thorough rinsing with boiling water and then at least a 24 hour drying out period before the Rabbit has access to the treated areas.

The other possibility is a Heart problem. English Lops are prone to Heart Disease, but problems dont generally arise until they are fully grown.

Again, please get your Doe to a Vet, today if possible. I would *not* get any more Rabbits until you have done so.

I am very sorry for your loss :cry:

How awful, :( I am so sorey this has happened.
Is there any way it could have been a reaction to the myxo jab?

So sorry :(

Maybe the trip to the vets upset him and he went into stasis? Although that wouldn't explain the smell...

But I agree with the others -get a post mortem done.

Don't worry about a new friend just yet. Get Charlie's vacc's finished - wait until he's old enough to be neutered - then a few months after that, approach a rescue for a friend for him - most rescues will do a bond as well - so that takes a lot of pressure and stress.

How has your little girl taken the news? :(

I am sorry

I would strongly suspect Coccidiosis. What makes me say this is your comment about him being 'very very smelly'. Was it a rancid 'Farmyard like' smell? Some Vets will state that it cant be Cocci if there was no diarrhoea. Sadly I know *from first hand experience* that this is definitely NOT the case and the only presenting symptom was a few hours of seeming 'off colour' before a sudden death :cry:

I would advise you to get the Doe to a Vet ASAP a *if* it was Coccidiosis it is highly contageous. I would also dispose of all bedding or anyything that could be contaminated with feces. I would also *steam clean* the entire environment. Steam will clean Coccidia, the only disinfectant that will is Jeyes Fluid, but this is obviously highly toxic. If you use that great care is needed with thorough rinsing with boiling water and then at least a 24 hour drying out period before the Rabbit has access to the treated areas.

The other possibility is a Heart problem. English Lops are prone to Heart Disease, but problems dont generally arise until they are fully grown.

Again, please get your Doe to a Vet, today if possible. I would *not* get any more Rabbits until you have done so.

I am very sorry for your loss :cry:

Agree with Jane wholeheartedly on this one - that would be my suspicion too.

Try to get the other bun to a vet asap so they can ascertain if it is Coccidiosis and then treatment can start asap.

Good luck

Oh no! I'm so sad to hear this. :cry: Binky free little one.

I agree that a PM is a good idea. You want to ensure that it's not posioning or something that could harm your remaining bunster. It does sound quite likely to be coccidiosis. Did he have diarrhea?

Unfortunately rabbits can become seriously ill very quickly. If they stop eating their gut can cease up, which is called 'going into stasis'. And it can be very hard to save them from that point. That's why it's so important for rabbits to hay available to them 24/7, so their constant nibbling keeps their gut moving. If a rabbit is off colour and refusing their favourite food they need to be seen by a vet straight away. Sorry, I guess that's not what you need to hear right now, but it is something to be aware of for the future.

How old is your little girl? Has she ever lost a pet/had experience with death before? It might help her to draw a picture or pick a flower to bury with Lola, and maybe in the spring you can plant a tree in remembrance? It will be hard for a while but after a while, when you all feel ready, you can think of bonding Charlie with a new friend.

I am very sorry for your loss. How terrible. I think a PM would give you peace of mind and could give you an idea of how to act now with your remaining bun.

Lots of love to both of you. Really feel for you xx

You mention a smell, maybe it would be worth consulting with your vet about coccidosis which i believe can start with a smell and is common in younger rabbits.

yes i was going to mention this? did you notice if the poos were smelly or runny at all? im really sorry to hear about this fingers crossed your remaining bun will be ok x

Back