• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pat has funny toes...

catxx

Mama Doe
Noticed this a few weeks ago and had a proper look at the vets last week. It appears that both of what would be our big toes on her back feet are splayed, so her claw curls sideways a bit. Her other back claws are normal. Doesn't seem to bother her at all and the nail still seems to be growing normally.

Anyone else have buns with wonky toes? Does that sound like a genetic thing? Just curious, as it doesn't bother her, she gets around normal, and nail isn't growing into anything its not a problem I don't think.

I would have thought this could very easily be genetic. Makes her unique :) I was watching Animal Hospital and the had a cat who had 5 toes on each foot and her daughter had 6!

My 7 year old cashie has wonky toes and my Cashie 3 year olds are starting to wonk. They came from a breeder via a resuce so you could be right - it could easily be inbreeding. My vet said he sees it quite often and isn't a problem. Only thing is that all of them have a degree on baldy heels which can lead to major porblems and needs watched (pod... something)

My 7 year old cashie has wonky toes and my Cashie 3 year olds are starting to wonk. They came from a breeder via a resuce so you could be right - it could easily be inbreeding. My vet said he sees it quite often and isn't a problem. Only thing is that all of them have a degree on baldy heels which can lead to major porblems and needs watched (pod... something)

I'm definitely keeping an eye on her footsies (as much as she'll let me!). Her brother has normal toes, but his claws are much more slender and needle-like than hers, odd! She did start to get sore hocks at one point, but since she's had fleece blankets everywhere, no problems there!

:lol: how sweet! Do you know I have never thought to count our cats toes, I might do it later if he is in a good mood :lol:

This is Toto (geddit? toe-toe?) as a kitten, she can stand up and sit like a meercat!:
2132394580_cedb3e41c6_z.jpg

My mum also had her sister, the only one in the litter not to have too many toes, but sadly Lucy went missing 2 years ago :(

Back