• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wowzers! How much hay?/!! Do you use straw aswel?

megansmummy

Mama Doe
Since the girls were spayed and then it got much much colder too we have managed to get through a whole bale of farm hay in 3 weeks! :shock: Hubby is going to collect a couple of bales tomorow which is exactly 3 weeks since the last time he went! I have about half a black sack left! So glad we found that option now!! :lol:

On a plus note they wouldnt really eat the farm stuff when we first got it but they are more than happy to munch through that now...infact I dont think I will need to order anymore 'posh' hay for a while! They get a large handful of posh hay per day and a handful of readigrass aswell (between them) although I have just been out and given them some more oat hay (they looked cold and I felt bad...sucker!! :lol: )

Do you use straw aswell for bedding or just hay? I have been putting a layer of straw in the bedroom under all the hay and Im just wondering if its necessary or wether I can just get away with using all hay? Is straw warmer?

I use two bales of straw as bedding and a bale of hay for them to eat ,for seven rabbits it lasts about a month :roll:,i find they dont wee so much on the straw and it fluffs up nicely for bedding where the hay flattens easier xx

The reason I ask is that the same farm also sells straw but its wheat straw and not barley straw :? Im currently using barley straw...whats the difference?

Edited...I just checked and the hay is £4.50 per bale and the straw is £2.25 per bale!

Last edited:
I use straw as well, especially in winter. Apparently it has good insulating qualities. Also, Spenser likes it - he spends a great deal of his time rearranging the straw to his liking. :lol:

Would adding some cheap fleece blankets help?
But it would take a while to shake the hay off them and there would be a small cost in washing them - not sure how it would work out budgetwise vs such cheap hay.

I just checked my email and the straw is £2.25 per bale so cheap as chips but its wheat straw instead of barley :? Dont really know the difference! :oops:

I think its wheat straw that i get ,its £3 a bale here though ,i have been using it for a while with no probs ,the farm told me thats the best for rabbits xx

I used to use straw in the winter for my first bun Lopsie. It's supposed to be warmer in the winter. If it's cheaper as well that's a bonus and you can give hay to eat and in litter trays.

My two now have a carpet and fleeces from Poundland as bedding as Grim has snuffles so lots of straw or hay can irritate his nose. I just stick them in teh was every couple of weeks. :)

I use straw as well, especially in winter. Apparently it has good insulating qualities. Also, Spenser likes it - he spends a great deal of his time rearranging the straw to his liking. :lol:

Yes I think it is because it is hollow so traps air in :thumb:

One Wendy house has a blanket in the corner, carpet tiles on the floor and a carrier stuffed with straw. The other has a 4ft hutch in stuffed with straw and a carrier with a fleece blanket in.

The reason I use straw is one of mine will only eat hay when it is fresh. If it has been out a few hours she won't touch it so she gets a basket of hay which is replaced often.

I also struggle to keep up with Strawberrys hay eating! He is a hay monster and would eat all his bedding if it were all hay!

Straw is a much better insulator, the proper farm stuff anyway, the stuff you get from pet shops tends to be squashed flat so I imagine doesn't insulate much

We use a bale of hay every day. We also use chopped straw as an underlayer as it is very absorbant and warm. We get through 5 or 6 140 litre bales of that a week. At £4.50 a bale of hay and £6 a bale of bedding it really adds up. We also use 12kg of rabbit pellets a day!

We use a bale of hay every day. We also use chopped straw as an underlayer as it is very absorbant and warm. We get through 5 or 6 140 litre bales of that a week. At £4.50 a bale of hay and £6 a bale of bedding it really adds up. We also use 12kg of rabbit pellets a day!

Oh wow!! :shock: how many buns do you have??

Back