• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cecotropes

SARAH xxx

New Kit
well what a great way to start my first ever thread!! :lol::lol: talking about bunny poo!!

i did do a intro thread about me and my buns so if you not seen it..hello i am sarah and this is daisy and thumper

they were 1yrs old yesterday :love:
007-48.jpg

so anyway.. i found loads of cecotropes (soft poo) laying around the shed this morning... :( not good... so they are having NO veg/treats/excel nuggets for the whole day.. just HAY HAY HAY.... they have 3 types of hay to nom on today... so they should be fine right.. ? i feel so bad not giving them any breakfast... but if their doing soft poos and not eating them... (well last night anyway) their diet is to rich.. ? hmmmm

anyone have any other advise?

I would give them their pellets as normal for the moment but maybe reduce them slightly, any change in that area you want to do gradually :) You say three types of hay, one of them isn't alfalfa is it? I found even a small amount of alfalfa hay set off Mini's sticky bottom troubles. All the other hays are fine to give ad lib but alfalfa is a lot richer.

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave: Your buns are lovely and have a gorgeous set up :D

Yes you are right to hold off on veg and pellets until their poos are back to normal. How much pelleted food do you feed them and what veggies?

aw their gorgeous, love their house too. yeah extra cecals, can mean many things, just go with what your doing and slowly introduce the pellets and veg back in again. mine have wee off days where you'll see one lying squashed.

:wave:

We had the same thing last week and so I gave them litterally 5 pellets each the next morning and apart from that they just got lots of hay as usual and that seemed to fix the problem. My hubby had fed them that morning and i think he probably gave them 1/2 HIS handful and his hands are much bigger than mine!! :roll:

Their house is gorgeous. :)
Is this the first time this has happened? Some owners find that the excel pellets can cause excess cecals. :)

thank you everyone :wave:
gosh.. your all so nice here :)

hmm... maybe its the excel then? they have one good handful per day...only, but i am yet to give them anything but hay today.. and i feel horrid :(.. may just give them five each then like tory said:thumb: they have had this type of poop before now yes.
regarding the hay Elena i dont buy that alfalfa... they have afew types... heres a pic of them all so i dont have to type them all down :lol: they also have Camomile Hay ..thats in the shed in their hay bag.. hence why its not in the pic.
100_5021.jpg

(thats their xmas sack in the pic too lol)

erm regarding their veg they have 2 baby corns and night each and maybe a small bit of banana each.. ((very small)) their abit fussy with veg.. they go mad for these two tho.
so per day thats what they have (and a handful of readi grass) not much really.. so dont know why there was soft poo this morn..

xx

Last edited:
Nice stash of hay! :)

I bought some of those excel herbage whatsits and mine wont eat them :roll: I bought the marigold and dandilion and also the chamomile one..they wont eat either! However the burns oat hay and then readigrass is a hit! They also like the pure pastures meadow hay :thumb:

i think readi grass is the best!!! every bun should have it :thumb:

have the girls moved into the shed yet tory? x

hmm... maybe its the excel then? they have one good handful per day...only, but i am yet to give them anything but hay today.. and i feel horrid :(.. may just give them five each then like tory said:thumb: they have had this type of poop before now yes.
regarding the hay Elena i dont buy that alfalfa... they have afew types... heres a pic of them all so i dont have to type them all down :lol: they also have Camomile Hay ..thats in the shed in their hay bag.. hence why its not in the pic.
100_5021.jpg

erm regarding their veg they have 2 baby corns and night each and maybe a small bit of banana each.. ((very small)) their abit fussy with veg.. they go mad for these two tho.
so per day thats what they have (and a handful of readi grass) not much really.. so dont know why there was soft poo this morn..

xx

We use pure pastures too :D
We live near to where they are based so we order hay and straw in bulk and they deliver to our house :) Its a lot cheaper buying it direct as our local garden centres sell the hay and straw for double the price lol :lol:

100_5021.jpg

xx

I find readigrass can sometimes upset her stomach too. I don't tend to bother buying readigrass anymore as they seem to like fresh meadow hay in a bale just as much :)

Baby corn and banana are both more sugary foods so maybe reduce those to every few days or once a week. I find with Mini she can tolerate a tiny bit maybe once a month or so but too often and it comes back :)

Back