• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have tips for syringing meds?

Jenson

Mama Doe
Hi, could I ask for lots of tips for wrapping my difficult bunny in a towel for giving meds. Up till yesterday he has been taking them ok but now we needs to hold him to give more and it is taking two of us and I need to be able to do it on my own later.

He is a real handful and really really hates being held but needs must.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

The bunny burrito

Put bunny on a table, place a towel on his back. Gentle life him up and wrap one side of the towel underneath him, tilt him so his back is against your tummy and firmly wrap the other side around him.

Or if you cant master that, I sit on the floor with my knees slightly apart, I put the bunny in the gap and put my legs against his sides (dont squeeze!) then I can lean over and administer meds and the bunny cant go anywhere as he has no escape route :wave:

Couldn't you do what I did and that's drop the medicine onto something porous they like (for mine it was their pellet food) and after 5 mins or so it had soaked in. Thumper then ate it all up, no problem and, more importantly in my opinion, stress free for both rabbit and owner.

Hi Georgeypudding, tried something similar earlier. Held him between my legs (held with my hands, legs just there so he only had one escape route). Managed to get him in the towel but then couldn't hold him still to give the meds, which I'm useless at as I'm paranoid about giving them wrong so im going really slow and into the side. He fights all of it. Had to call the other half to hold him but I will have to manage on my own for some of the doses.

Couldn't you do what I did and that's drop the medicine onto something porous they like (for mine it was their pellet food) and after 5 mins or so it had soaked in. Thumper then ate it all up, no problem and, more importantly in my opinion, stress free for both rabbit and owner.

Hi. This is what we were doing, and he will lick the metocloprmide from the syringe himself but the vet has told me I need to be stronger with him. And I doubt liquid paraffin will get eaten in anything, and he's refusing pellets till the evening for some reason and only eating veg in the day. Thank goodness for greens!!!

My 2 take it straight out of the syringe.

What medication are you administrating?

When its septrin or metacam, I get down on the floor next to them, put the syringe next to their mouth, and they suck it all out.

They normally have a fairly full syringe and it works brilliantly, is totally stress free, and they think its a treat!!!

Have a try, be patient!

Back