• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to tell what weight my rabbit should be?

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Well I am not sure on the exact breed off my rabbit. I think she might be a lionhead/lionhead cross but I am not sure. This means I don't know how big she is supposed to be. Like an average weight for her breeding. I guess for her sizing she would be a medium-large rabbit. I have heard that if you can see the spine then your rabbit is too thin, if you can just feel it under the skin, but not see it, then that's a decent weight for your rabbit. Only trouble is that Rosie is a giant fluff ball and its hard to feel or see anything under that fur :lol:
Any help or tips? Thanks x

My bun has very thick fur too, but i run my fingers through it so I can feel his body. I've worked out what he should feel like with his vet. We took him in for a vacc and I asked how I can tell without incessantly weighing him. The vet weighed him, said he's the perfect weight and told me to just feel around his torso to get a feel of how he feels when he's the right weight. When Buckley is the right weight he feels like a fluffy pencil case (feel free to laugh, but it's true!) I can just feel where his ribs are (without them being too pronounced).
If you want to know what your bun should weigh the best person who can tell you is a rabbit savvy vet. They can weigh your bun, say "yes that's fine" or "no, that's not fine" and from there you can learn how your rabbit feels and looks when she's the right weight :)

It's quite difficult for us to tell you over the internet because we can't see your rabbit or hold her to get a feel for her body composition if you know what I mean :)

Thankyou :D
Rosie has her second injections soon so I will ask for her to have a weigh in :) It shouldn't cost anything like extra should it??

Back