• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not eating

Laura Loo

New Kit
Hello

I need a bit of help with my rabbit. He had problems with his teeth about 6 months ago and he stopped eating and pooping and seemed rather unwell. We found out the problem was his teeth so he had them filled down but he became quite ill with it and after a week in the vets he came home and eventually got back to his normal self. However over the last few days he seems to be acting the same, he stopped eating although he does try and stopped pooping properly. He does seem like his normal self though which he didnt last time. Could his teeth have grown back already?

Thank you

Hello

I need a bit of help with my rabbit. He had problems with his teeth about 6 months ago and he stopped eating and pooping and seemed rather unwell. We found out the problem was his teeth so he had them filled down but he became quite ill with it and after a week in the vets he came home and eventually got back to his normal self. However over the last few days he seems to be acting the same, he stopped eating although he does try and stopped pooping properly. He does seem like his normal self though which he didnt last time. Could his teeth have grown back already?

Thank you

Yes, it is very likely to be a Dental problem

Your Rabbit needs to see a Vet this morning Not eating is a serious issue as a Rabbits GI tract will shut down leading to Gut Stasis

I will post some links for info in an Edit to this, but meantime please contact your Vet now

Good luck :)

ETA
Links for Information :

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/dental_disease.htm

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=472&S=1&SourceID=43

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Last edited:
Yes, it is very likely to be a Dental problem

Your Rabbit needs to see a Vet this morning Not eating is a serious issue as a Rabbits GI tract will shut down leading to Gut Stasis

I will post some links for info in an Edit to this, but meantime please contact your Vet now

Good luck :)

Exactly as Jane says.

Rabbits with bad teeth can, if they stop eating fibrous material, have them grow back in days if they have bad teeth issues.

Thank you for your replies i'm going to book him into the vets and see if theres anything they can do to that will help him seeing as filling only seems to help for a few months. Hopefully there will be something else they can do for him.

Laura

Thank you for your replies i'm going to book him into the vets and see if theres anything they can do to that will help him seeing as filling only seems to help for a few months. Hopefully there will be something else they can do for him.

Laura

There may not be - some rabbits suffer from dental issues, every 6 months is easily acceptable in my eyes :)

I have a rabbit who needs a dental every ~8 weeks and one who needs one every 6 months, similar to you :)

Good luck at the vets, let us know!

It does sound like it's probably his teeth again. It's possible that he was particularly bad last time because he'd developed ulcers caused by the sharp spurs on his teeth. If it is his teeth burring them as soon as possible wil prevent it happening this time. I had a dental bun who needed doing every 4 weeks, so 6 months isn't too bad at all.

In general, what's his hay consumption like? Hay should make up around 80% of his diet. It's vital for keeping hs teeth worn down.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

He did develop quite bad ulcers last time so thinks that why he was so bad and set us back around £400 to get him better again. Hopefully it won't be so bad this time. We struggle to get him to eat much hay at all, we have tried pretty much every brand on the market but he just doesnt seem interested in eating it.

He did develop quite bad ulcers last time so thinks that why he was so bad and set us back around £400 to get him better again. Hopefully it won't be so bad this time. We struggle to get him to eat much hay at all, we have tried pretty much every brand on the market but he just doesnt seem interested in eating it.

Have you tried readigrass? My boys flatly refused to look at hay till I tried them with that. Now Pickles wolfs it down, and will even try 'normal' hay. What about actual grass - does he have the oppitunity to graze?

I dont think we have tried that one. The only thing we have had any look with is dried herbs and plantain but not sure if that works like hay or not. I will have a look at the reaigrass and try him on that. He gets let out during the weekend at the minute as we have brought him inside due to the cold weather but during the summer he is out pretty much every day but we are growing a put of grass at the minute to try and encorage him to eat something.

Back