• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lifting and cleaning out pen of bun after spaying?

Vita

Mama Doe
So I know in advance...

Bedding (blankets / towels) will need to be changed frequently, but how do I do this when there is a very sore bunny who needs to rest? Normally I would have them run about or go into the other cage or carrier of their own accord

Julie moved around very soon after her spay. She moved a bit slow and not to far but I cleaned up after she moved over. Maybe just clean around the bunny and hopefully she will move over to the clean spot and you can clean where she was.

When I clean them after spays I have the bottom of the carrier lined with a towel or blanket. To lift, make sure one hand is right up under her elbows and one supporting her bottom and move her. They are sore but don't mind being lifted gently. It also provides a good opportunity to check her scar. I hope it all goes smoothly!

When I clean them after spays I have the bottom of the carrier lined with a towel or blanket. To lift, make sure one hand is right up under her elbows and one supporting her bottom and move her. They are sore but don't mind being lifted gently. It also provides a good opportunity to check her scar. I hope it all goes smoothly!

Thank you! This sounds like something that will work for me. :)

So it's a lot like normal lifting, just making sure the front hand is a little further forward, and being even more careful to be gentle with her.

Back