• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nail clipping disaster - blood! :(

esupi

Warren Veteran
Following on from my earlier thread, I seemed to find a technique that worked with Fudge. I've been trying it with Truffle over a couple of days, and managed to get a couple of nails each time - she seemed to be getting calmer.

Had another go tonight, and she kicked out just as I got was pressing the clippers down - I was nowhere near the quick but suddenly there was blood everywhere - much more than the one time I have caught the quick before and it was just a tiny spot. She was licking it loads and wouldn't let me look for ages. I've looked the best I can now, and it seems to be very short and possibly split further down. All I can think is that she kicked 'into' the cut so I ended up taking more off than intended, and that as I reacted by stopping cutting, it just split the rest?

She doesn't appear to be in pain, and is currently wolfing down some apple. Will she be ok? I feel awful :(

If it's hanging or cracked it may have to be removed, but if it seems whole just keep it clean

If it's hanging or cracked it may have to be removed, but if it seems whole just keep it clean

Gosh. ok. Will it become apparent if that is the case? I'm really struggling to get a good look at it right now, as Truffle is understandably nervous :(

ETA - sorry - forgot to say thank you for the reply.

I had this with thumper the other week his back paws one of his nails come off when i was clipping and there was blood everywhere i stopped the bleeding and checked what was left of his nail and thankfully it was still whole :thumb:

How did she kick out? Was she secure or did you trance or something?

If it's stopped bleeding it'll be fine :)

I had this with thumper the other week his back paws one of his nails come off when i was clipping and there was blood everywhere i stopped the bleeding and checked what was left of his nail and thankfully it was still whole :thumb:

Thanks. It's her back paw too which is why I'm struggling to see it. Will keep trying though.

How did she kick out? Was she secure or did you trance or something?

If it's stopped bleeding it'll be fine :)

Obviously not as secure as I thought! I was starting to think I had found a way forward too!
Thanks - I'll keep an eye on her - other than licking it a lot, she doesn't seem to be behaving as though it's bothering her.

When it first happened I thought I'd ripped her whole claw out and was frantically looking everywhere for it! :(

Aww poor you, this has always been my worst nightmare. Ive only done it once so far on Buster (theres no way id attempt Lola) and my hands were clammy the whole way through! Im sure truffle will be ok, it doesnt take the guilt away though but dont be too hard on your self, it was just an accident x

Thanks Shelley. She is fine now, and gave me licks this morning, so it seems I am forgiven! She even let me hold her again (more securely this time) and clip the rest of her nails :)

Thanks Shelley. She is fine now, and gave me licks this morning, so it seems I am forgiven! She even let me hold her again (more securely this time) and clip the rest of her nails :)

Well done you! Its good you got straight back on the horse :) it'll make it make easier next time!

I'm a bit late but if it happens again you can stop the bleeding with corn flour :wave:

Thansk - I couldn't remember if it was corn flour or regular flour. But to be honest she was so busy licking it I don't think I'd have got a look in with it - didn't want to stress her out more at that stage. I'll pop some in their drawer though so I'm ready next time (hopefully never to be used!).

You can use regular flour too. I had that happen with Mischa and nothing was stopping it, not flour or pressure so I took him to the vets asap and it was just starting to almost stop when we got there and they used a stypic pencil (least i think that's what it was, memory's not so good) on it which got it to stop fully.

Back