• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

are rabbits self-aware?

xSmeffy123x

Alpha Buck
Does anyone know? Im wondering what matilda thinks when she stares into my mirror.its cute but polly doesnt do it... hehehe. Any thoughts? Do ur buns do this?:D

I am not sure about rabbits but birds think their reflection is another bird. Raul (bird) loves mirrors. Julie(rabbit) freaks out and starts running and thumping when she sees her reflection in the glass door at night. I am not sure if Julie even recognizes her reflection as another bunny it just scares her.

Bella saw her reflection once and totally thought it was another rabbit :lol: She approached it VERY carefully before running away to hide under mum's bed :lol:

To a certain extent, but not to the extent where if there was a mark on their face and they saw it in a mirror they'd try to clean it off. I don't think they recognise themselves. And they probably can't think about thinking (metacognition).

I think they are to some extent too.
Jimby saw himself in the mirror and his ears came forward and he was staring as if to say "what a beautiful boy!" It was so cute, i had to tell him it was him.

I think they are to some extent too.
Jimby saw himself in the mirror and his ears came forward and he was staring as if to say "what a beautiful boy!" It was so cute, i had to tell him it was him.
Awwww :)

I will show mine a mirror later and see how they react. It will be a 6" high portable one on a stand though, as the other two are too high up for bunnies.

Back