• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help!! 5 week old orphaned rabbits

Bunluv

New Kit
Hello all!!
I am in desperate need 4 help. 2 weeks ago I acquired a family of damnation Rex rabbits, a mummy and 5 babies- the babies were only 3 wks old and have been such a joy. I have converted my shed into a wonderful new home for them and they were all very happy, the mum was my fave and I would sit stroking her for hours, it was lovely to see her become so tame- yesterday morning I went to the shed and looked through the window to discover mummy laying on her side and babies climbing on her - I knew strait away something wasn't right as she would run into the box upon hearing footsteps and come out when she heard my voice- my beautiful girl had passed away. I am so so devastated and cannot stop crying/ she was only 9months old and this was her first litter- she seemed in perfect health at 9.30pm the night before. I will never know what happened to her and it's been such a shock.
I have brought the babies indoors- now 5 weeks, I have removed the rabbit museli and they are on baby pellets and hay and lots of water only. I understand they would've stopped feeding frOm their mother next week but her milk is very special in good bacteria for the gut.
How much pellet should they have a day? Will they be ok? One seems to have direohea but I can't tell which one as they are having full roam of my conservatory.
ANY advice for me would be so appreciated.
Thanks so much xx

I meant dalmation Rex by the way!! This auto spell sometimes gets it very wrong!!
Aww I'm so so sad about my rabbit :(

Hi

You might be best putting your question in the health section as people may not notice it here.

Sorry don't have the expertise to help myself. So sorry about your rabbit. :(

I am sorry :cry:

I really would not change the babies feed over at this stage. If they have been weaned onto Muesli then leave them on it for now. Their guts wont be able to cope with dietary changes at this stage.

I would get a good water soluble probiotic to put into their drinking water eg Bio Lapis, your Vet should stock it.

Can you check all their bums to see if you can find out which one has diarrhoea ? You really need to do this and sadly you then need to separate the kit from the others as their could be a pathogenic cause. Especially given the sudden death of the mother.

I would probably just provide them with lots of hay and fresh water overnight.

Hi there.

I am sorry for your loss.

I am afraid I've no experience with this kind of thing but just thought I'd suggest putting the type of help you want by editing in your title to attract people who've been through this kind of thing too (there are a few on here).

Good luck,

I am afraid I've no experience with this kind of thing but just thought I'd suggest putting the type of help you want by editing in your title to attract people who've been through this kind of thing too (there are a few on here).

Great minds think alike, I just amended the title for the OP.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Bunluv. :( I have no experience with baby rabbits either, but there are a few people who do and hopefully they will see this thread.

Thanks so much for your replies. I have been so very upset and it felt as if no one understood before i joined here. I only had her for 3 weeks but i loved her dearly :'(
When mum was in with them I would mix musseli with pellets for babies (junior feed from 1-16wks) I decided to cut the muselli due to the good/bad bacteria build up- I read this on the net! I just thought it would be easier on them- but they seem so hungry! Ravenous I would say!
I've looked at their bums and nothing gives the pooer away, although I have noticed this has almost cleared up (I've been very clean- intact they are litter trained bless them and from this afternoon I've not seen any soft stools- please let his be a good sign not a bad one!!)
Again thanks so much for your support- they are adorable sent they? Xx

Feed them exactly what you normally feed them. Any changes at this stage could cause gut problems.

They don't really need mum at 5 weeks old, but they do need familiar surroundings and familiar food, to prevent health problems and stress.

Good luck x

Thank you- how much would you suggest I feed them? I didn't used to worry when mum was around but now I am worried about everything!!

Lol they would just eat and eat, they polish off a bowl so fast! I will give them more food and just watch for any changes in them. What age can u introduce veggies?
Sorry to be a pain- I feel my confidence has been knocked a bit from the loss of mum x

Just wishing you lots of luck.
I think it's best not to introduce veggies until about 8 - 12 weeks and when you do only give tiny amounts to begin with.
I wonder what other people would think about getting timothy hay and alfalfa? Timothy is very high in fibre and great for rabbits and alfalfa is high in protein and calcium. I gave it to my baby chinchillas when they were growing.

i'm so sorry for your loss. poor mummy bun.

as others have said, the babies tums will be very delicate right now so keep them on the dry food they were having, and lots of hay and water. i wouldn't give any veggies yet as this is someting else their tums would have to get used to, and they don't need anymore added stress on them right now. the probiotic in the water is a good idea.

lots of luck with them, i hope they all thrive. :wave::wave:

Just wanted to add that adding handfuls of fresh hay throughout the day can encourage them to eat that too. I know my buns seem to prefer it 'fresh' from the bag. The more hay they eat, the better.

I'm so, so sorry you lost your girlie. :cry: At least she was happy and well loved, without a long illness and a gradual demise. I think sometimes these things are just meant to be. ((Hugs))

To be honest, I don't know much about baby buns! What I do know is that it's important to have fresh hay available 24/7. If I were you I'd be inclined to keep them in the house now, until the late springtime, so long as it's quiet and free from strong smells (like cigerette smoke).

Back