• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are you drawn to certain types of rabbits?

megansmummy

Mama Doe
Obviously we all love rabbits and there is absolutly nothing wrong with cross breeds (when it comes to preference etc) But i just wondered if you are particularly drawn to a certain 'type' of rabbit... small, medium, large, longer fur, shorter fur, huge ears or just big ears, uppy ears, loppy ears, helicopter ears, certain colours etc?

Im just being very nosey :lol:

Fluffy ones.

I feel horrible saying it, but really I much prefer fluffy rabbits - like lionheads or similar.

Doesn't mean I'd turn away a non fluffy rabbit who needed help, or can't see the beauty in them, but I'm a sucker for fluffy bunnies!

I am drawn to:
- Nethies
- Rex and Mini rex, Orange colour especially
- Grey colour rabbits
- Up eared rabbits

Yes, I'm not really keen on popular breeds like lops and nethies and rex and lionheads, I like pretty colours but not hugely modified fur/ears/shape/heads (well I guess with the exception of belgian hares, they're very different in shape to most rabbits), my favourites are the Thrianta, Rhinelander, Tan Hare and Mecklenburger, and I like most of the other rare varieties :love:

Lionlops are my favourite :love: and I love lops in general.

I have neither :lol: other things are more important. I did have lops as a kid and I do hope to own a lionlop one day.

edit: I should add that I do think my rabbits are gorgeous nonetheless!

Last edited:
all my rabbits were dutch until daughter chose mini lops and i had the same as her. now i find that uppy eared bunnies 'look funny' to me! :shock:

There are lots of bunnies I find adorably cute but wouldn't have as pets, for example
- Nethies (concerned about their teeth and the way that their breeding inevitably involves birth and death of unviable runts. Also a jumpy nervy bunny is not for me.)
- Long haired rabbits (extra hassle with grooming and other fur related problems)
I'm fascinated by some of the unusual ones like Thriantas and Belgian Hares but have a feeling they would be hard work and too skittish for me.
I am not sure about lops. They are *gorgeous* but I think about the way their hearing is dulled and that they are slightly more prone to ear problems, and I'm not sure I'd feel right about having one.

Others I have a particular soft spot for:
I love grey animals generally.
Light coloured rexes such as orange or lynx :)
Other honey coloured bunnies
Tan Dutch
Buns with little white noses
Agoutis of a size similar to wild rabbits
Certain very cute white bunnies such as a couple of babies who have been posted by rescues in recent times
A white male rabbit whom I would call Jefferson ... even better if he had helicopter ears so I could go all out and call him Jefferson Airplane :oops::oops:
Smooshy friendly bunnies with thick but not long fur who are white with tan or black markings (purely since I joined the forum - I have seen lots of these on RU and they are lovely)
ETA: Otters and martens

... So many favourites!

Last edited:
Def lops for me they have an eeyore cuteness too then but i always lovely nethies and lionheads! but thats all ive had so would prob like anything else that made its way too me as well

I'm fascinated by some of the unusual ones like Thriantas and Belgian Hares but have a feeling they would be hard work and too skittish for me.

The only thing different from thriantas and regular rabbits is the colour, they're certainly not skittish and no more work than a non rare-variety rabbit :lol: And the hares I've met have been lovely and anything but skitty :love:

The only thing different from thriantas and regular rabbits is the colour, they're certainly not skittish and no more work than a non rare-variety rabbit :lol: And the hares I've met have been lovely and anything but skitty :love:
Oh! I thought I read somewhere that thriantas were hard to bond and prone to fighting :?

I do have a soft spot for floppy loppys but having said that my fav bun was an uppi wupi. (think I may need to get out more, be thankful you dont live with me!)

Back