• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really disappointed

Lizzie72

New Kit
Hi,

Basically I found an advert on preloved for a gorgeous doe, who I've absolutely fallen love with. She was due to be ready on the 30th of November and I was very excited to pick her up as she's my first bunny in around 10 years. Now I can't get hold of the breeder, she's not responding to my messages and i have no phone number and also her website is down. The breeder never asked for a deposit but I did ask for her to be reserved and she said that would be fine. We exchanged further emails about vets, vaccinations food etc all of which she responded to relatively quickly.

I'm really upset that I may not get the rabbit I've fallen in love with now. She sent me a picture of her and i've had it set as my wallpaper and on my wall and i've even already named her. :(

I suppose this is a bit of a rant that i sort of need to get out of my system.

What would other people do in my situation?

I'd love to rehome a rabbit but unfortunately my current circumstances mean I doubt i'd pass a home check as I'm currently in student rented accommodation.

Hi,

Basically I found an advert on preloved for a gorgeous doe, who I've absolutely fallen love with. She was due to be ready on the 30th of November and I was very excited to pick her up as she's my first bunny in around 10 years. Now I can't get hold of the breeder, she's not responding to my messages and i have no phone number and also her website is down. The breeder never asked for a deposit but I did ask for her to be reserved and she said that would be fine. We exchanged further emails about vets, vaccinations food etc all of which she responded to relatively quickly.

I'm really upset that I may not get the rabbit I've fallen in love with now. She sent me a picture of her and i've had it set as my wallpaper and on my wall and i've even already named her. :(

I suppose this is a bit of a rant that i sort of need to get out of my system.

What would other people do in my situation?

Approach a Rescue! There are so many lovely bunnies waiting for someone to fall in love with them. Through no fault of their own they've ended up without a forever home.

Also, not sure whether you're aware that it is so much better to have a pair of rabbits than a singleton. A Rescue would either find you an already bonded pair or bond a pair for you. If you're set on having a baby, there are lots of babies in Rescues - not just older bunsters.

That is what I would do but of course it is your decision.

I'm sorry. :( It does sound a bit suspect. Maybe they were demanding deposits from other people, then disappearing. It could be a big scam.

I agree about the rescue bunnies. If you adopt a pair from a rescue it will save so much stress, as well as money. You'll also be able to choose them for their personalities as well as looks. You never really know with kits if they're going to turn out to be snuggle buns or completely independadnt destruct-o-buns.

I'd love to rehome a rabbit but unfortunately my current circumstances mean I doubt i'd pass a home check as I'm currently in student rented accommodation.

How would your home be okay for a rabbit from a breeder, but not from a Rescue?

We rent, but we have rescued buns. As long as you have the finances as well as being student and are in long term rented accomodation (not on a 6 month lease), no reason a homecheck would fail really. Speak to rescues.

My home is fine for any rabbit, I've got an indoor cage, lots of bolt holes, tunnels, toys and an outdoor run set up already. I've just convinced myself that because i'm in a student accommodation i may be blacklisted. I'm very responsible with my animals and have a very good vet just down the road. I just know that rescues carry out thorough home checks and I may fail because I'm a student even though i'm offering a very loving home.

My home is fine for any rabbit, I've got an indoor cage, lots of bolt holes, tunnels, toys and an outdoor run set up already. I've just convinced myself that because i'm in a student accommodation i may be blacklisted. I'm very responsible with my animals and have a very good vet just down the road. I just know that rescues carry out thorough home checks and I may fail because I'm a student even though i'm offering a very loving home.

You could contact your local rescue and ask about their rehoming criteria? I dont think you'd fail just cos your a student, but I could be wrong.

I'm really sorry about what happened with the breeder. :(

As long as you have permission from your landlord the fact you rent isnt a problem. Please dont be put off by the homecheck, look at it more of an opportunity to ask questions and get advice than an interrogation :D

I'll contact some of my local rescues, I'm not necessarily after a baby so i'll see if they have any buns suitable for me :)

Also have a browse in the 'rabbits in need' section on here if there isn't a rabbit suitable for you from local rescue's, some of the rescues on here rehome nationally so don't have to be located near you. There's nothing to fear from a home check at all, I adopted Gordon from a rescue on here a long way away from me :D

I'm really sorry you've felt such a loss because of that woman.

As far as rescues go...
I live in rented accommodation, have a three year old, am pregnant and have a 12 week old puppy, but a wonderful rescue on here is happy to rehome a special little bun to live with my single girl because we can give him a great home.

They won't blacklist you because you're a student, but you'll have to be able to prove that the permanent accommodation is big enough for the buns. (Being shut in an indoor cage for any amount of time will be seen as unacceptable to most rescues. They'd require a large attached run, or a whole bunnyproofed room for an inside bun.)

Thanks guys :)

I'm going to approach my local RSPCA as i volunteer for them from time to time so they know me a bit first.

I'm planning of giving bunny/s free run of a room and use the indoor cage as a 'go-to' for bunny if that makes sense? Basically I'll rarely shut bunny in it unless i'm hoovering or similar.

Thanks guys :)

I'm going to approach my local RSPCA as i volunteer for them from time to time so they know me a bit first.

I'm planning of giving bunny/s free run of a room and use the indoor cage as a 'go-to' for bunny if that makes sense? Basically I'll rarely shut bunny in it unless i'm hoovering or similar.

A lot of indoor bunny owners do this :) My Boris has a pen as a 'base' in my room, does come in handy for hoovering etc :)

Back