• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Experienced injection givers

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Can someone reassure me that there isn't anything I could've done with giving Mischa his injection that would make him wobbly? I've just given him his injection about 10 minutes ago and he seems unsteady on his feet. I realise this could be because maybe he has an ear infection developing as well but I haven't noticed it prior to the injection. He was moving around a lot today which made it harder to do and it took me two goes at doing it and I'm paranoidly panicking that I could've done something.

Maybe its just the stress hun? Mimi was always more wobbly when she was stressed.

I do hope hes not getting an ear infection :(

From what I know, I don't think you've done anything. I had to give Lola injections into her 'baby bit' well just below for 3 months straight. Hope someone else comes about soon to help xx

Maybe its just the stress hun? Mimi was always more wobbly when she was stressed.

I do hope hes not getting an ear infection :(

It might be. I had just woken him up for the injection, maybe I shouldn't have done that, I wanted to give it before my parents went out. He's been waggling his ears but he tends to do that anyway, he doesn't like it when his ears aren't down, so if you stroke his ears back he'll waggle them afterwards.

From what I know, I don't think you've done anything. I had to give Lola injections into her 'baby bit' well just below for 3 months straight. Hope someone else comes about soon to help xx

3 months. :shock: I'd be a bundle of nerves by the 3rd day.

What are you injecting hun, is it depocillin?

Streptacare/Penicillin

He seems to be getting better but still seems to falter on his right side with some steps. It's not phasing him. he's currently squabbling with Mini over the treat ball.

Could you have hit a vein and some of it went IV ?

Are his eyes flicking from side-to-side ?

I can't see any eye movement. He's a bit of a handful right now, I gave him a treat after and spilt the tub on the bed and floor so he's manically trying to find the rest and won't sit still for me. Is hitting a vein really bad? I mean if that happened would he need to go straight to the vet or would it settle?

It might be. I had just woken him up for the injection, maybe I shouldn't have done that, I wanted to give it before my parents went out. He's been waggling his ears but he tends to do that anyway, he doesn't like it when his ears aren't down, so if you stroke his ears back he'll waggle them afterwards.

3 months. :shock: I'd be a bundle of nerves by the 3rd day.

Streptacare/Penicillin

He seems to be getting better but still seems to falter on his right side with some steps. It's not phasing him. he's currently squabbling with Mini over the treat ball.

Depocillin/Penicillin same thing basically so same as us. I gave them to Ginger for ~5 months i think, we never saw what you're experiencing, but we did see the shaking ears bit as Ginger doesnt like her ears back either but she does that withuot the jabs etc.

I'd keep an eye on it, you might have disturbed his sleeping pattern, as he was asleep so maybe was dozy anyway and this has just sent him a bit woozy.

Only thing i know to watch out for is the getting any in orally - if that happens, it can be an emergency, especially if you blow a needle (been there, done that several times) as it kills th ebacteria in the gut as im sure you know.

Vibes for him :love:

I can't see any eye movement. He's a bit of a handful right now, I gave him a treat after and spilt the tub on the bed and floor so he's manically trying to find the rest and won't sit still for me. Is hitting a vein really bad? I mean if that happened would he need to go straight to the vet or would it settle?

I have known some Rabbits react in a similar way if Depocillin etc accidentally goes IV. All appeared to go back to normal within half an hour without any medical intervention. I would give the Vet a call, it will put your mind at rest :)

I'd just come to that decision too. They're engaged at the moment. :) Thank you all, I know you're all going through bigger things at the moment so I appreciate it. :(

Vet seems to feel it could be related to the injections so we're going to try him on Septrin instead. :) That will make Mischa very happy ;) and me. *exhales*

Vet seems to feel it could be related to the injections so we're going to try him on Septrin instead. :) That will make Mischa very happy ;) and me. *exhales*

lol, Septrin is yummy
i got it all over my hands and ended up enjoying the taste :lol:

I can't say I've tried it Gray ;) I don't think I ever had it as a child.

I went and got the Septrin this afternoon and had a chat with the vet. He feels it could be a reaction to the penicillin (least I think he said that, it was to the penicillin or the injection itself, my brain is fuzzy) or it could be E.Cuniculi (not what I wanted to hear with Mischa's history of head tilt! :(). Going to start a 28 day course of Panacur in case.

Mischa is a lot better this evening and isn't showing any signs of it apart from when I try to brush the area. I'm actually doubting now how much I got in. At the time the fur wasn't very wet so I just wiped over with a flannel and dried with a towel, but this evening the fur is kind of congealed slightly and there is a bald patch. I've got as much of it out as I can in case it's dried penicillin but I swear I didn't 'spill' that much during the injection so whether it's leaked back out or, I don't know. He really doesn't like me touching the area. There is none on the top coat, and only a small bit left on the bottom. I might try washing it again with the flannel to loosen it again.

I was going to say something else. :? Oh that was it, that was the second time I put the needle in, the first I put it in and his moved and the needle went in further. I guess that could've caught something. In any case, I just don't trust myself with injections any more!

Does he have pasteurella?

Because:
Pasteurella bacteria may travel into the ear via the eustachian tube (what you pop open in an airplane). A middle ear infection is irritating; an inner ear infection is frightening because the balance (vestibular) organ is affected.

Does he have pasteurella?

Because:

He hasn't yet had a C&S test so not entirely certain. He hadn't shown any balance issues prior to the injection. I did say to her on the phone that I thought there could possibly be a link as last time he had snuffles he also had an ear infection and she came back and said that the vet also felt it could be that but to switch the meds in case.

Maybe not something Mark has tried before Elena, but if the Septrin doesn't hit it, ask him to try Azithromycin (Zithromax is the boxed name). It's basically sugarry water to a bunny, so they won't turn it down (unless in the most extreme cases) - Biscuit used to try and run off with Ginger's syringe :roll:

It's the ONLY anti-biotic that had any affect on Ginger's snuffles apart from the depocillin, which we had to stop using as it ran out of effect due to length of course :(

It's syringe fed and ~0.8ml doses for Ginger's weight (at the time 1.6Kg).

Just giving you some ideas to consider, not saying do it :)

Good luck :)

Maybe not something Mark has tried before Elena, but if the Septrin doesn't hit it, ask him to try Azithromycin (Zithromax is the boxed name). It's basically sugarry water to a bunny, so they won't turn it down (unless in the most extreme cases) - Biscuit used to try and run off with Ginger's syringe :roll:

It's the ONLY anti-biotic that had any affect on Ginger's snuffles apart from the depocillin, which we had to stop using as it ran out of effect due to length of course :(

It's syringe fed and ~0.8ml doses for Ginger's weight (at the time 1.6Kg).

Just giving you some ideas to consider, not saying do it :)

Good luck :)

I have the same problem with Mini! I tried appeasing her with Mischa's empty metacam syringe but that lasted a grand total of three seconds before she was back trying to have Mischa's septrin!!

Oh bizarre, Mischa point blank refused the septrin tonight. :? To see if it was just him I waved it under Mini's nose and nope, she didn't want to know either :? Had to resort to putting it on some banana to get him to have it. I'm very confused.

Back