• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help...how to give my Mini Rex's winter exercise???

millymolly3

Young Bun
Hi :wave:,

Please help..I am fairly new to rabbits and I am not sure how best to exercise my two mini rex boys during the cold winter months?

Merlin and Arthur live together outside in a large hutch and have a hutch hugger and rain snuggle cover plus a snuggle pad now temperature is dropping. Up until this week, they have gone out daily in to a run on the grass but now the grass is wet and muddy and it is cold and windy, what should I do? I know they need daily exercise but I cannot put them on the patio because of their hocks.

What do other mini rex owners do, any advice please :idea:?

Thanks!

Hi. I have two mini rex sisters called Milly and Molly. (noticed your username :shock: :D). Molly has sore hocks so all year round, their run is on concrete with foam matting and thick hay (about 1 ft deep). I cover the roof and sides of the run so that it doesn't get wet and they can go out there every day, 365 days a year. :)

Hi there. I have 2 mini rex boys.

This is my setup
newhutch1.jpg

I put the tarp down when it is raining/snowing so they can still play in the run
hutchcover2.jpg

My mini's fortunately don't suffer from sore hocks. They are on wood chippings from b&q. I have been told about rubber mats. :wave:
Can you attach the run to the hutch?

What rabbitdan said :)

Rabbits can have access to their run in all weathers providing they have the option to go back to a safe warm place when they want. I'd see if you can attach the run to your hutch, if you cant have it right next to the hutch you could use a runaround tunnel.

Thanks to all of you for your replies, much appreciated! :)

(I cannot bring them inside as I do not have the space).

The run does not fit to the hutch so I would have to adapt and I have no room on the patio for both. They would have to go on the grass but I don't think that is ideal as it is already so muddy!

I will have to make some hard standing somewhere in the spring or even get a shed for them (as soon as I can afford to), I just wanted to try and sort something out for them over the next few months. As a temporary measure, I have put some tarp over their run but feel guilty putting them in it when it is cold and wet :cry:

I like the idea of the bark floor or even the matting, its just an expensive time of year !

Hope you all have a good Christmas!

Back