• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It's freezing but they REFUSE to have bedding!!

sierra*323

Mama Doe
I've filled their bed area with hay, straw and a mixture of both - but Finx and Tango empty it out every time. Surely they must be cold? It's a little snug in the bedroom with the two of them in there, but I'm sure some hay would fit in there too and make it more comfy.

They throw their snugglesafe away too, although I haven't heated it up yet, maybe when they realise it is warm they will keep it.

Do you think the heat of the snugglesafe alone will warm the air upstairs and keep them snug if they insist on throwing the bedding out?

I guess if they were cold they would keep the bedding..? Silly things :lol:

My lionhead insists on eating and sleeping on the balcony even when it hits -25 here. I have tried absolutely everything, but she goes in a real huff if I moved her eating and sleeping arrangements indoors close to the radiator, so I leave the door open to the office, so she can come in and heat her backside up once in a while :love:

She has extremely thick fur though, and the poor thing has to be cooled down every summer when it hits +35 :)

I wouldn't worry too much about them. Mine do that all the time, and also sit outside when I think it is freezing cold!

They do cope better in cold and in fact my two seem a lot more alert and bouncy at the moment!

They have thick coats and they have each other so am sure they will be fine!

Mind you saying that my two survived in a hutch last year through the snow and minus temperatures and this year they are in an insulated shed and I still worry about them being warm enough! :roll: So I can understand your concerns!! X

My lot push snugglesafes away too. I think healthy rabbits deal with the cold pretty well :D

That's encouraging :) Thanks! I guess they'll use it if they need to.

They do seem to be happier in the cold than the heat. I've been snooping around on ebay for a fold up gazebo thingy to put over their hutch when it gets hot again (wishful thinking lol), as while Tango uses his brain and sits in the shade under the tarp in the run, Finx had a habit of flopping in the hutch and sneezing at the sunshine in that hot patch in September. She only ever sneezed on hot days, there have been none before or since that sunny spell (she was indoors last year), and my garden is facing a rubbish direction so becomes a sun trap!

Hmmm sunshine... :love: I'll be worrying about flystrike next! It's a whole different set of worries now they're outdoors!

The cold doesn't bother them too much. :)
Grim and Smoo have a carpet and fleeces in their sleeping area. I can't have too much hay or straw incase it aggravates Grim's snuffles. And they sit out in the open part most of the time.

i put blankets and towels in their cages and they ruffle it up and it looks like a bomb site when i go upstairs but they are indoors and still bouncing about so i must be doing something right :lol:

Furby and Faye have a hutch/run combination and only really use their hutch at nom time. Even when it is raining and cold they are outside in the run. I work some nights and even when I come home at the early hours of the morning they are never in their hutch.

I could shut them in their hutch at night but they are both young, healthy bunnies and I figure as long as they have somewhere warm to go if they choose to, they know what they need. (I sound a very hard Bunny Mummy:cry:)

I attempted to make their sleeping area a bit warmer today after reading tonight's weather forecast! I've folded an old fleece throw in as a cushion and put the snugglesafe underneath to try and reduce chewing, I'll heat it up when I go to bed. I've also crammed straw and hay in all the gaps around their bed - it's not a separate room, I built it out of a small table and a little hidey box. It looks cosier than before, I hope they'll be ok!

I do shut them in at night, there are so many cats in our neighbourhood and who knows what else - I sleep better knowing the buns are safely hidden away. They spend a lot of time in the hutch in the winter by choice anyway, they don't often need catching to go to bed :)

I think I might allow myself to stop worrying now :) Thanks!

Im sure they will be fine :)

I went out to the buns at 5am this moring becuase i was worried about them as its around -5c out there atm and they were both happily nomming hay downstairs in the hutch which is just bare wood flooring! Upstairs is all snuggly with the landing having a thick hay floor and the bedroom being stuffed full of hay! :roll:

Im sure they will be fine :)

I went out to the buns at 5am this moring becuase i was worried about them as its around -5c out there atm and they were both happily nomming hay downstairs in the hutch which is just bare wood flooring! Upstairs is all snuggly with the landing having a thick hay floor and the bedroom being stuffed full of hay! :roll:

Sounds about right :) I went down to open the door to their run at about 6am before I left for work and they were hopping about downstairs waiting. I checked their bedroom, someone has made a little rabbit sized hole in the bedding in their hidey box and slept on the wood floor :roll: but the fleece looks like it's been snuggled in and there are no wet patches or holes yet :)

We have four sets of rabbits that like to shovel all their bedding out the hutch door. It drives me mad:roll: Two groups actually are doing it less now the weather is colder so maybe they do have some sense. But Heather and Rosy won't stop, and they both have limited use of their back legs and really do need a snuggly bed:roll:

Back