• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bun in Prison.

sun_city_girl

Warren Veteran
Bun is in a tiny hutch!:(
There he was minding his own business jumping around the grass when he was swooped upon and put in this little hutch that is like jail. Gonna go and rescue the poor bun in a minute. Not like his usual p(a)lace of residence!!

I'm confused, what do you mean? Has your bun been picked up and put in a small hutch or something, i'm very confused.com.

Sorry I didnt explain myself, i just kept looking out the window at the tiny hutch!

What has happened is we have come to my Boyfs parents, they were going to keep Hitley here whilst we moved and got a garden and said they would buy him a hutch to live in. I said a million times that the hutch had to be a certain size etc etc and that i wasnt going to move him now anyway because its winter and he is an indoor bun. They went ahead and bought a totally unsuitable hutch anyway and then i think seemed peeved that i didnt want him to live in it. Now we are visiting them boyfs dad obviously wants to get his moneys worth and has put Bun in the hutch, although boyf just put Bun back in the run and has put Hitley in the hutch now and attached our other run!

We are going home later anyway so they will be back to normal. I do feel bad that they have spent £90 on something totally un-usable but i did say!!!

So you're taking your indoor bun and putting him outside when you go to your bf's and then putting him back indoors when you get home?

No my Buns come indoors for the most part when they are here, they stay in the spare room, but i think its a bit tooo small for a proper run, so they are having a run about on the grass before we drive home (a 3 hour journey).

No my Buns come indoors for the most part when they are here, they stay in the spare room, but i think its a bit tooo small for a proper run, so they are having a run about on the grass before we drive home (a 3 hour journey).

Do you realise that you shouldn't be changing their temperate environment at this time of year, as the massive change in temperature could make them ill?

Do you realise that you shouldn't be changing their temperate environment at this time of year, as the massive change in temperature could make them ill?

Sooo i should keep them cooped up in a small room instead, they loved being outside earlier hopping and digging and playing. I have seen some set ups in here where people have rabbits that can go in and out of the house but no one has jumped on them for extreme changes in temperature. I'm sorry but i am happy to let them spend sometime in the garden during the day.

Sooo i should keep them cooped up in a small room instead, they loved being outside earlier hopping and digging and playing. I have seen some set ups in here where people have rabbits that can go in and out of the house but no one has jumped on them for extreme changes in temperature. I'm sorry but i am happy to let them spend sometime in the garden during the day.

I think what is trying to be explained is that if bunnies are indoor and then let outside to play in the winter, it is like us going outside without a thick snuggly coat on. Outdoor bunnies grow thick winter coats, indoor bunnies have no need to grow such thick coats because they are indoor. The temperature change really is very detrimental to them and can cause serious health problems.

My bunnies spend the night in my unheated conservatory and then play outside in the day. They both have very thick winter coats to keep them nice and warm.

Winter time causes many problems, especially when it comes to allowing enough time for bunnies to exercise.

Please consider what I have written and I'm sure you will put your bunnies best interests first.

Best of luck. x

Last edited:

I'd rather a bun was in a slightly smaller setup for winter, than having them experience health issues due to something that could have been avoided, yes.

And if i see someone doing similar, i do comment, it's not 'jumping on' its stating facts and giving you the information you need to make an informed decision, rather than an un-educated one.

If you choose not to do it, nobody here will be able to affect that fact, but at least we will know we've given you the information to work with.

If you choose to do so, please just keep an eye on them, as respiratory issues may be one of the first things you notice.

I'd rather a bun was in a slightly smaller setup for winter, than having them experience health issues due to something that could have been avoided, yes.

And if i see someone doing similar, i do comment, it's not 'jumping on' its stating facts and giving you the information you need to make an informed decision, rather than an un-educated one.

If you choose not to do it, nobody here will be able to affect that fact, but at least we will know we've given you the information to work with.

If you choose to do so, please just keep an eye on them, as respiratory issues may be one of the first things you notice.

Yes thanks i will keep an eye out for respiratory problems, they are not in Bun Prison anymore because i took them out, they were just running around the garden, i knew when they wanted to come in because they nudged the patio door lol! The Hutch was like a prison though it was TINY!

Can you not just let him out of the room? One bun has the bedroom, the other has the lounge, what about the other rooms?

They will have more room when they are neutered and hopefully they will bond, so this is only temporary.

I completely agree with Graham and Mrs Bunnykins about the temperature changes.

You must understand that for those of us with bunnies that have snuffles it is frustrating to see that someone would take risks that could lead to an illness like snuffles developing, by the time you would have noticed symptoms it is too late to 'cure' it, if it is snuffles. And once snuffles in a bun is triggered it is often a distressing lifelong struggle which can affect both the quality and length of their lives. The act of driving the bunny to the house and putting them in strange territory could also cause stress, again making an illness that is often triggered by stress more likely. I speak purely of my own opinion on the matter, but I'm sure others would agree. I hope you dont think I'm jumping on you, I just wanted to explain why it is a bad idea to put them in a position of drastic temperature change unnessessarily, and why it is an issue taken so seriously.

Can you not just let him out of the room? One bun has the bedroom, the other has the lounge, what about the other rooms?

They will have more room when they are neutered and hopefully they will bond, so this is only temporary.

You must understand that for those of us with bunnies that have snuffles it is frustrating to see that someone would take risks that could lead to an illness like snuffles developing, by the time you would have noticed symptoms it is too late to 'cure' it, if it is snuffles. And once snuffles in a bun is triggered it is often a distressing lifelong struggle which can affect both the quality and length of their lives. The act of driving the bunny to the house and putting them in strange territory could also cause stress, again making an illness that is often triggered by stress more likely. I speak purely of my own opinion on the matter, but I'm sure others would agree. I hope you dont think I'm jumping on you, I just wanted to explain why it is a bad idea to put them in a position of drastic temperature change unnessessarily, and why it is an issue taken so seriously.

I did it, I had Mischa in during the day and out at night. And now he's the one suffering :cry:

Before I knew alot about bunnies I owned a grey lop. He was an outdoor bun and lived in a hutch in the garage and went in a run during the day. I used to bring him inside for a hop about and he lived till he was 8. But he got ill quite a few times. It was a few years ago now and the vets never advised against bringing him inside and outside but I know now that he was ill unnecessarily and nearly died once from respiratory problems due to the extreme temperature difference. :( Don't make the same mistake I did.

I did it, I had Mischa in during the day and out at night. And now he's the one suffering :cry:

*hugs* but you didnt know. We all make mistakes when we dont know better. I once took Barney to the beach on a lead, I had a carrier with me in case we met dogs but with the stress, temp change and danger - what a stupid thing for me to do!

as i explained before the situation arose because i was staying at my boyfriends parents house. at home i dont have a garden they have
free run of their rooms in the flat 24 hours a day.

Back