• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I might have asthma!! :O

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
Recently i have becoming short of breath, around the rabbits and guinea pig and just doing normal day to day things, been to the doctors yesterday and blew into this thing to see what my reading is and its not too bad but could be better, so i have an inhaler preventer and spacer thing for 2 weeks and then i have to go back and see what my reading of my blow is :roll:

I really hope I dont have asthma and i hope im not allergic to the pets, but i cant see im allergic to them as i have had pets all my life, i would never get rid of them anyway :D

and im only 14 :(

Last edited:
Could be an allergy to the hay rather than the animals. Some doctors will do tests for antibodies.

Hope you feel better soon.

I know somebody who had been a cat owner for 50 years who developed an allergy to them, sadly her allergy became so bad she was hospitalised several times and the allergy had developed into a life threatening condition.

I know somebody who had been a cat owner for 50 years who developed an allergy to them, sadly her allergy became so bad she was hospitalised several times and the allergy had developed into a life threatening condition.

thank you for the positiveness :/ :(

asthma is a tricky thing.....i was asthmatic for the first 8 years of my life until I apparently wasn't (probably because my inhaler was helping me) then I had an asthma attack during a school cross-country run and collapsed by the side of a lake......a year or 2 ago I find I'm asthmatic but find myself breathless and strangely have random attacks....none of the normal inhalers worked and I'd use my blue one so much that I shook uncontroably until I lost all energy.....they then desiced to put me on a very un-common inhaler....and guess what...it works :D my inhaler has no "direct effect" but is a very random working inhaler...commonly described as the athletes inhaler...

my point is.....breathlessness isn't likely to be an allergy (I have hay fever etc too) usually to do with how well your lungs are expanding....but obviously other facts are involved and I'm no expert....doctors visit I think :) I will tell you now though that inhalers can take up to 6 weeks to show full effectivness.....but that may differ for some inhalers, it's always been the case for me though....

PS - the twist inhalers made my asthma worse! I needed the automatic clicker ones that you press. They do the same job essentially....different ingredients!!!! Which I never knew!

U/P - thats my personal view of it, an enlightenment as I do get random breathlessness....don;t want you to worry about it being your animals because I thought it was my rabbits too.

So please, no one take my advice exactly on how I've based it, it how I think about it and my views :) so always check with your doctor, just try not to worry :)

asthma is a tricky thing.....i was asthmatic for the first 8 years of my life until I apparently wasn't (probably because my inhaler was helping me) then I had an asthma attack during a school cross-country run and collapsed by the side of a lake......a year or 2 ago I find I'm asthmatic but find myself breathless and strangely have random attacks....none of the normal inhalers worked and I'd use my blue one so much that I shook uncontroably until I lost all energy.....they then desiced to put me on a very un-common inhaler....and guess what...it works :D my inhaler has no "direct effect" but is a very random working inhaler...commonly described as the athletes inhaler...

my point is.....breathlessness isn't likely to be an allergy (I have hay fever etc too) usually to do with how well your lungs are expanding....but obviously other facts are involved and I'm no expert....doctors visit I think :) I will tell you now though that inhalers can take up to 6 weeks to show full effectivness.....but that may differ for some inhalers, it's always been the case for me though....

PS - the twist inhalers made my asthma worse! I needed the automatic clicker ones that you press. They do the same job essentially....different ingredients!!!! Which I never knew!

Hi thank you so much for all your help :)

Luckily im not too bad but when i went to the doctors yesterday, i had to breath through this thing and my reading was a little bit lower than it should be so i have this inhaler preventer ( brown one) for 2 weeks then i have to breath through thing again and hopefully i am better and can get rid of the whole asthma thing :cry:

thank you for the positiveness :/ :(

I was only explaining that some allergies are serious or can develop into serious allergies even for people who have been around animals all their life.

Lots of NHS staff became allergic to latex due to over exposure which is why many hospitals now have latex free gloves.

I hope your asthma is controlled well and that once you are on meds you will be ok with your pets.

I was only explaining that some allergies are serious or can develop into serious allergies even for people who have been around animals all their life.

Lots of NHS staff became allergic to latex due to over exposure which is why many hospitals now have latex free gloves.

I hope your asthma is controlled well and that once you are on meds you will be ok with your pets.

thanks :) i might not have it, i will find out in 2 weeks, fingers crossed :roll:

Hi thank you so much for all your help :)

Luckily im not too bad but when i went to the doctors yesterday, i had to breath through this thing and my reading was a little bit lower than it should be so i have this inhaler preventer ( brown one) for 2 weeks then i have to breath through thing again and hopefully i am better and can get rid of the whole asthma thing :cry:

Mine is always a little low :) it's boarder of healthy and not healthy really. hopefully your preventer helps you, I had to advance to the purple version and then increase it to the maximum allowed steriod value, which never helped. I found taken steriod tablets helped me hugely (they're only given for around 5 days though as they're very bad for you long term) Some people just have tricky lungs...I am one :thumb: you'll sort it out thoughn :)

Last week we noticed a damp patch in my room and it had probably been their a while, we bleached it and everything and its gone now, but could this be related??? :?

well room dampness effects asthma a lot in most cases, it isn't good for the lungs anyway but asthmatics in particular.

so could this be the reason why i have been short of breath, i have only been short of breath about 3 weeks and i presume the mould on the wall was there about the same time too, because the mould was behind a desk thing we only noticed it as it got bigger, I am really thinking this could be what the problem is :?

so could this be the reason why i have been short of breath, i have only been short of breath about 3 weeks and i presume the mould on the wall was there about the same time too, because the mould was behind a desk thing we only noticed it as it got bigger, I am really thinking this could be what the problem is :?

it's very likely.....it makes a lot of people seriously ill...to the point where some houses actually have to be demolished etc, unlikely scenario in your case :lol: but yes, find where the damp is coming from, and ask your doctor!!!!!!!! I hope you find the answer. Nunight guys :) Sleeeeeeeeeep!

it's very likely.....it makes a lot of people seriously ill...to the point where some houses actually have to be demolished etc, unlikely scenario in your case :lol: but yes, find where the damp is coming from, and ask your doctor!!!!!!!! I hope you find the answer. Nunight guys :) Sleeeeeeeeeep!

yeah we found the damp and we cleaned it up, its now open to air and the heating is on so the damp should not reapear, thanks for all your help, night :D

Hay is a massive allergen as are the spores in mould (from damp).

Daily antihistamines should help with both - you can take them long term daily, certirizine seem to work best. My husband is a mild asthmatic and has found daily antihistamines to have helped keep it under control, as will using your 'steroid' inhaler (the brown one)

You can buy dust masks for building work in B&Q and other DIY stores - the disposable ones work best. My husband often uses these when doing the hay and the rabbits.

Back